What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to buy iPad 2 - Need advice

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. I've decided I'm going to purchase an iPad 2. I will be using it for some business and leisure, nothing major. Some of the business end of it will be confidential information though. As it's not a major part of my work or anything, I'm trying to weight up the pros and cons of spending a lot of money for more memory when what I want it for isn;t critical to my work. I have a 16GB iPhone 4 so when I connect my iPad I'm guessing it will sync with the iTunes on my computer and take on board the music, apps etc. that are on my iPhone 4. AS my iPhone is nearing capacity, does that mean a new 16GB iPad would be also? Stupid question probably.

It will be led by a financial decision aswell. So, I guess what I want to know is will a 16GB iPad be big enough? Should I also go for the WiFi + 3G version at a cost of an extra €100?

Any sort of help/guidance here will be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! Most folks I have seen on here wish they had gone for both, WiFi and 3G ~ so if you can, go it. As far as size ~ I have the 64GB, but I only have 15 apps, and some pictures! That is it! I could have easily gone for the 16GB and saved some money. I Just wanted to cover all my basis.

When I get the iPad 3 in a few months, I will go with the 16GB or the 32GB.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You don't have to sync everything thats on your iphone to the ipad, you can set up different sync settings for both.

As to will a 16Gb be big enough, its hard to tell from your description, the usual advice is buy the biggest you can afford.

jmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first purchased the iPad2, I was read to return it for a refund within the first week. If you can get access to one first to play with it - do it! I have since started to explore the possibilities with the iPad as this was my first Apple product. Takes a while to get used the Apple way of doing things but they do it "for the user experience". By removing the controls and tweaks you need to jailbreak to enjoy those hidden secrets.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot help you with the storage size (16-64gb) or whether u need the 3g or wifi only, but i will tell you this, wait for the ipad 3 to come out. This year march 2011 the ipad 2 come out and the price of the ipad 1 dropped. So i would waith till march-april 2012 for the ipad 3 release and see the price of the ipad2 to come down. In a nutshell, just wait a 3 months

RIP Steve Jobs 

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is absolutely no guarantee the iPad 3 will be out in March. Could be June. It is all speculative rumor. There may not even BE an iPad 3.

If you want an iPad 2, get it.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) If an ipad 3 is coming in march (which is improbable), it will have the same processor as iphone 4s has just launched with A5. So most prolly it will be a 7" or RETIINA.

2) If a fresh upgrade is done then it will be on JUNE/JULY

Just my 2 cents

OP
I

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for the useful responses. I have experience with Apple as I've had iPods and iPhones for several years now so I also l know how 'fussy' their systems can be! The iPad seems a natural progression for me. I guess I'm asking is it worth my while purchasing one as I have an iPhone 4 upgraded to iOS5. The whole iPad 3 thing does throw a spanner in the works really. If one comes out, then what's the point of buying an iPad 2? Why not just go the whole hog and buy the '3'.

I've just found out that if I buy the 3G version then I'd need a seperate data plan for that, i.e. another monthly bill. This hadn't really crossed my mind. Since I have WiFi access at home, I probably don't need to buy the 3G as any work I do on the move could be sync'd when I get home (I think).

So much to think about really.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the wifi version which I use at home and work. I have a mifi from 3 for when I need connectivity out and about, it's PAYG so I just buy access when I need it.

The Archangel

Last edited:
OP
I

IrishiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's interesting Gabriel1. My mobile phone price plan with 3 includes unlimited data. They have said that I can use this to tether internet for an iPad. Therefore, would an iPad with Wifi but NO 3G work for me, bearing in mind that the phone would be using 3G when outsude my own home wireless internet?

Most reactions

Latest posts