What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A5x not a6?

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In a very recent article showing the supposedly 3's logic board, an A5X and not an A6. Could this just be a rebadged A5?

ipad_3_logic_board_560.jpg

(Image from macrumors.com who posted the article)

Last edited:

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like I said before, new iPad will be refreshed iPad 2 with only one part that is newly developed - Retina display!
I vote that this device should be called iPad 2HD (HD stands because of the new high-res display)

Last edited:

Uberchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will be quad-core. Look, the A5x processor is unprecedented. When has Apple ever just added an x? The 4s had the 3GS as a precedent. In addition, a buttload of other sources have said it will be quad-core along with being announced on March 7. Finally, Apple needs to go quad-core to compete with Android. *coughcoughAsusTransformerPrimecoughcough*

EDIT: The A5x is probably a prototype. If you look carefully, it was manufactured in November.

Last edited:

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will be quad-core. Look, the A5x processor is unprecedented. When has Apple ever just added an x? The 4s had the 3GS as a precedent. In addition, a buttload of other sources have said it will be quad-core along with being announced on March 7. Finally, Apple needs to go quad-core to compete with Android. *coughcoughAsusTransformerPrimecoughcough*

My concern is that X means extreme and that should lead us to one thing - Overclocked A5 Dual-core Cortex A9

My wishes are - A5 Dual-core Cortex A15

I dont vote for Quad-core that is based on Cortex A9

Uberchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You would have to overclock to 2 Ghz to compete with the Asus Ttansformer Prime and Galaxy Tab 11.6. At that point, I would opt for quad-cores with a fifth core for low power tasks, similar to how the Asus Transformer Prime works. I would worry about battery life if I had overclocked dual cores, while with quad cores, battery life actually improves.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The A5 is a dual core chip with dual core graphics. Could it be that the A5x may be dual core but with quad core graphics to power the retina display? Or it may just be a beefed up A5 for testing purposes prior to the A6 being available.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that you cant pair dual core with quad core.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is only a name difference. It is still the same chip. The A4 was the xxxxx30X, the A5 was xxxxx40X, and this is the xxxxxx45X. It is probable that they work on several chips at one time, and the prototype xxxxx50X could not deliver adequate power and battery life, so they went with the 45X which did. It seems all the more reason that the use of two chips for different applications will be the way to go, maybe on the iPad 4.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of people mix iPad processors & PC processors. Those are totally different architectures & requirements.
When you make processor for iPad on first place is efficiency, on second place is power. On PC processors things are opposite.

Most reactions

Latest posts