What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A surprised iPad owner

ChrisB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a college freshman with a iPhone 3g and Dell laptop, but this Christmas my mom got me the 64-gig iPad with wifi. I was totally surprised but also skeptical at first. I wasn't sure what purpose I would have for an iPad when I already had a laptop. However the more I used it, the more I liked it and I havent been able to put it down. Some of the apps are great, the touchscreen and Internet browsing experience are unmatched. As a college student I was wondering if i should start using this for notes in class with the Docs to Go app or I could get textbooks on it, it would be quite the asset! Any words of wisdom from the more experienced users here?

Done rambling, I'm excited to be a new member of the forum!

ChrisB

dingster1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! have fun. i think your Dell is going to be very lonely. :) I plan on taking mine to class instead of my MBP to see how it will work out.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a college student I was wondering if i should start using this for notes in class with the Docs to Go app or I could get textbooks on it, it would be quite the asset!

ChrisB

Welcome, Chris! Check out a member here ~ SuperBike ~ he has had 8 months of experience with using his iPad in the school setting. He also has experience and thoughts on the text book thing. He was not in favor of it and I so can't recall why.

Do you know how to search one's posts?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
DocsToGo Premium is great for syncing to the cloud and viewing/editing Office docs. I use it all the time and have written 2 different game systems on it.

You will probably want a note app that offers handwriting ability to take notes; this depends on how fast you can get used to typing on the iPad. I use one called Notes Plus.

As for textbooks - if they are not available now, they will be within the next year or two. It just makes sense. There are many readers from the different book warehouses (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, iBooks to name a few) with hundreds of thousands of books, and I bet some textbooks.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DocsToGo, FileBrowser, GoodReader and Dropbox are what you need, all that for less than thirty bucks. But be prepared for a long run-around learning curve. You'll have to perfect your own shortcuts to do originally simple things, as in Office, that have to do with file sharing manipulation.

OP
C

ChrisB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind greetings everyone!:) Yes I do know how to use the search function so I'll check out SuperBike. I've got DocstoGo Premium and a small, collapsible bluetooth keyboard which I can type on just as fast as on my laptop with. iVan, i will check out those other apps to see if I could use them. I reluctant to spend more of my parents money because I now this was expensive. I can save all my docs to my Google Docs account so I can access them from any internet connection. I was also wondering if i should invest in a screen protector? Thanks everyone!

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is Superbike81, and he was discussing several good apps for students, including CourseSmart, and Zinio for textbooks, and had been able to get many of his texts for about half the normal cost.

Here are two of the threads we were discussing it in:

IPads for Students, and
IPad and college textbooks.

You should find some good startup info there.
(notice that the note-taking app "Notes Pro", mentioned there, is now renamed to SundryNotes.)

good luck, and let us know of any good experiences you find with these or others!

Most reactions

Latest posts