What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for those use the ipad in business runings window platfrom applications.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our company has bought the Ipad 16.gb model to take to the field with us for work for the techs and installers personal to use instead the laptops we normaly use in our line of work ..it will design to hold the software program for our work which is at 6.gb of disc space and another 5.gb of up dated programs that we use also ..

Today i tried to load a program for work onto the ipad from my desk top and it would not work right with the ipad software.. when i loaded onto a regular desktop computer running windows it ran fine..

do i need to load a appliction that can use flash to make the program run right ..most of the time the program is kepted on a Ironkey 8.gb secured usb unit and plug into the laptop computer then it plug into there system that we work on do the upgrades and other things.. ..

it runs right on the windows platfrom but when it comes to a Mac softwar it does not run right on the unit ..

any help here guys..

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, if I get you right, you want to use you iPad as an intelligent USB-stick?
Or do you have apps for your work, which you want to run on your iPad?

It is not a regular Mac nor a PC. That said, it will not run regular software. The apps have to be developed with the iPhone/iPad software development kit.

Even if you just want to store files on it, it won't work on a non-jailbreaked device, as you don't have access to the file system.

And even if you manage to get the files onto the device, how you want to get them down again, to a non-binded pc?

The alternative I see here is a thumbdrive like the mentioned Ironkey, or a cloud service, where you store files in a secure web-drive (i.e. RapidShare, AirShare, MobileMe...).

Please clarify

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing about useing mobile me .. i sorry i been up all night trying to get something right and i need to get some sleep i deal with at a later time thank you .Kheldour for the info ..

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The iPad only runs iPhone/iPad software. You cannot load windows or Mac software onto the iPad.

Now if you need "access" to a windows program and a computer or server that is always on at your work you can remote into that computer from the iPad.

I am a computer tech for a public school and use my iPad to remotely login and use the schools server right on my iPad instead of running back and forth from building to building. The iPad app I recommend you get is called WinAdmin. There is both an iPhone version and an iPad version of winadmin. Make sure you get the iPad version.

This will basicly give you access to and windows application that you have installed on that PC.

Also you said that there are many of you at the company. So instead of needing to have them all remote into a separate computer you could actualy set up a windows server and have multiple people logging into one mating with their own sessions and no one will know anyone else is connected to the machine at that same time.

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
What MikesTooLz said ^

You either need to develop the app specifically to run on the iPad written using the Apple SDK for the iPad, OR you need to remotely access the PS running the windows application and use the software remotely on a physical PC in an office somewhere.

Unless were missing something MAJOR. :D

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we where trying to do somthing and it did not work ..we went back to the orignal idea of keeping the info on a usb stick unit along with a small netbook to do the install programs..we useing the ipads as basic remote control units for the installs that we do ..

it was a long and kicking things and beening on the edge of throwing the whole thing out the window at one point in the night ..i kept trying to tell the boss that we have to use a windows base machine along with the usb stick and then we could do he remote control running of the unit ..but he would not listen to us ..

the ipad was idea to cut down how much we have to carry with us when go and do the installs ..

we got it down to a small netbook along with the ipad and usb stick for the install personal to do the work all put into one hardshell travel case with it access in the case ..so we can do the remote control and it not a problem we where tryng to cut some things out of the loop and it was not going to work we where telling him..

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[QUOTE=MikesTooLz;21717..The iPad app I recommend you get is called WinAdmin. There is both an iPhone version and an iPad version of winadmin. Make sure you get the iPad version. This will basicly give you access to and windows application that you have installed on that PC.

we set up one netbook with the usb unit as the main control unit .then we basic access the program through the ipad and run the software from there..we have the program that you are talking about on the ipads for one of the guys bought it up that would be the program to get .. ..

i sit at the computer and do the data input or run the file system to see if working right after the data input and do the things that the two other people tell me to do over the radio when we running checks on the install software program .. .

we do the install with three personal total in the group the software people who do the install and me in the group ..normaly we work nights when no one else is around to allow us to work faster with fewer problems of trying to deal with the people when they are saying that the program is shutting down there computer and they can not get work done .

it a lot easly with the smaller team set up to travel and haul around the gear and cloths for work ..most time all three of us will use a small van for travel for us and the gear we take ..

along with one of the personal from the place who works in the area with us to let us into places and keep people from asking to many question about what we are doing sometimes ..

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use winadmin and love it. It is just like sitting at my desk. All of my firms systems are windows based.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the info that night i was at my end of my rope along with dealing with a person who i do not get along with as it ..then trying to get new software installed and dealing with him calling me and the other guys alot of names like dumb---- along with beening to stupid to make the program work and we allmost threw him a beating that night ..

for this person is the one guy no one likes to work with and he a got a mouth on him that makes you want to beat him down everytime he opens his mouth..he knows he about to be fired as it is and he does not care so he beening just a total jerk to everyone ..

the only reason i have not put my hands on him is the fact that i do not want to spend the night in jail .so that has kept my temper in check when dealing with him.

Most reactions