What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions for a potential iPad owner

Magoop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
School will be starting up for me soon and I have just learned that we will start being required to use iPads by some of our instructors. While we can rent them from the school, I was interested in buying my own with financial aid money.
Since I've never owned an iDevice, and honestly am short on time recently because of work, I don't have time to do all the digging I feel I need to to be comfortable with my choice.

For the most part, I just need something to read my digital textbooks on, as well as type, and browse the internet. I would also like to be able to have some kind of drawing application(s) as well for digital art. I'm hoping not to spend over $400 total for an iPad, and a few accessories like a case, stylus, and screen protectors, but if I need to I can spend a bit more.

I guess my biggest question is, what's the big difference between the first gen and later gens of iPads? Are there any any reasons I may want or need to shell out extra money for a gen 2 or later? Or will I be fine with a gen 1? It does not need to be new, it can certainly be used. I just need a reliable product that will last me at least a few years, if not more.

I'm sorry if something's aren't clear, I'm currently sleep deprived and am about to head to bed :p

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Well, an iPad 1 is now seriously down on RAM which affects performance. It also can't run anything above iOS 5.1.1 which may limit your choice of available apps. It may be worth asking Apple about their educational discounts and also looking at the Apple refurbs on Apple.com. In addition, you can get further savings by going for an iPad Mini.

There is plenty of options but I'd be inclined to go for something above an iPad 1.

The Archangel

McCannon01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little advice from an old guy who's been watching the advancements in tech for over 50 years. Buy the latest device with the most ram you can afford as well as Apple's protection plan in case you have a problem with it. Don't worry about spending on "cool" accessories right away. At this time you should be spending your precious bucks on the device itself even of you have to wrap it up in a pillow case before stuffing it in your backpack or book bag. It sounds like this will be a long term investment for you and you will need it for years to come. Get the best device you can and worry about accessories later when you've had the opportunity to see what's available and can decide what you need (including apps) and what is nothing more than fluff.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Honestly, for what you are going to mainly use the device for, I don't see why a refurbished iPad 2 or iPad 3 wouldn't work great for you. No need to break the budget and get the absolute latest and greatest, especially in your situation. Both the second and third gen models should serve your needs and you'll have money leftover for accessories and all that stuff. And, don't be afraid of the factory refurbished models either. Ask anyone here that's bought one..... Never any issues and they have the same warranty as a new one. That's my suggestion.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Given your stated requirements, I would go with a mini, or iPad2 (you can still buy these new). Pick the one who's size you like. While some have stated a great affinity for the higher resolution screens of the later versions, I see very little difference...certainly not a couple-hundred dollar difference. One consideration: accessories for the iPad2 are relatively inexpensive at this point.

Though you did not make any statements regarding these, questions to ask yourself:

wifi only?
how much pictures/videos/music do you intend to store?
how important is a camera in your iPad?
how important is GPS in your iPad?

If your answers are yes/not much/not/not, then the iPad2 is perfect for you.

I have been using an iPad2 for a couple of years, and have absolutely no interest in upgrades at this point.

BTW, I agree with the others: stay away from the iPad1 if you can afford to do so. Having said this, I haven't checked prices on iPad1 used. If I saw one at a garage sale for $50, I might still get one.

Last edited:

Bob327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given your stated requirements, I would go with a mini, or iPad2 (you can still buy these new). Pick the one who's size you like. While some have stated a great affinity for the higher resolution screens of the later versions, I see very little difference...certainly not a couple-hundred dollar difference. One consideration: accessories for the iPad2 are relatively inexpensive at this point.

wifi only?
how much pictures/videos/music do you intend to store?
how important is a camera in your iPad?
how important is GPS in your iPad?

If your answers are yes/not much/not/not, then the iPad2 is perfect for you.

I have been using an iPad2 for a couple of years, and have absolutely no interest in upgrades at this point.

BTW, I agree with the others: stay away from the iPad1 if you can afford to do so. Having said this, I haven't checked prices on iPad1 used. If I saw one at a garage sale for $50, I might still get one.

Though you did not make any statements regarding these, questions to ask yourself:

Amen Amen...!

I too use an iPad 2 and feel exactly the same way...I do not need a camera at all ..hardly ever use the camera on my phone either Screen resolution is just fine

Bob G

dune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cameras are useful for purposes other than snapshots and FaceTime.
- Scanning UPC bar codes and QR codes is done via the camera. Such scans can facilitate use of shopping apps, etc.
- Many banking apps use the camera for online depositing of check, etc.
- The European Space Organization (and Vito Tech) provide the Star Walk app that uses the camera and GPS to focus on a particular region of night sky, then displays that sky with info overlays for stars, planets, nebula, etc.

So get a comparison list of features for each iPad version you are considering. Then think creatively about what such features could mean in apps of today and the future.

Also, some features of the new iOS version 7 may not be supported on earlier iPads. A nice summary is provided in: http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonesoftwareterms/f/What-Devices-Are-Ios-7-Compatible.htm

Of note in these missing features: Siri (voice activation and dictation) will not be available on iPad 2 under iOS 7 .

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To the excellent points made by dune, keep in mind that it can be more than the existence of cameras (iPad 2 has one iPad 1 does not), but also the quality (iPad 2 camera is, in my estimation, not very good). Whether iPad2 camera is good enough for bar codes or star gazing, I don't know (possibly), but the future may bring apps that require a camera better than the iPad2 has.

OP
M

Magoop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So sorry for not replying sooner!

Thank you for all your great advice folks, I have settled on getting a wifi 16gb iPad2 (it seems to be the ones my fellow students are renting from the school).
So far, it works as well as I expected. The camera, as mentioned, is not steller, but any images I take of things for class are readable (if not there's always the camera on my WP.)

Again, thanks for all the help and insight!

Most reactions

Latest posts