What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First iPad purchase.. few questions..

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the new iPad (2017 model), I have a few questions before I get it (should be getting it Thursday).

I have went through 2 Kindle Fire's, and 1 Samsung tablet in less than a year (different issues). I decided I would try out the Apple iPad 2017. Since I've had such issues with so many tablets I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, when I first get them I will normally use them straight out of the box they work fine for a few months (of pretty much constant use). Eventually something goes wrong (just a few months later normally), like with the kindles they would either have issues with screen (weird graphic steaks or sometimes the screen would flash bright white no matter what screen brightness I had it on. As for the Samsung, it worked great for a few months but then it started randomly doing things I didn't tell it to do (at first some jerk got into my accounts and I had to reset it MULTIPLE times eventually I got that sorted out and they stopped that but I wonder if they somehow did something that is now causing more issues, not sure if that affected it or not) but now it would either randomly stop doing stuff or won't hold a charge. I got fed up and decided to give Apple iPad a try :).

My question are:

1) When I first get it, should I charge it fully before using it, or let it drain to a certain percent? <-- I've been trying to google this but some say to charge it, other says not to so I'm confused.

2) Any suggestions on what I should do to hopefully have a good experience? (as few glitches, battery issues etc).

3) Completely random but does keeping it in a case all the time affect anything (weird question I know but didn't know if that could somehow affect all my issues), should I take it out of a case once in a while? (whenever I get a tablet I always get a case and keep it in it 24/7).

Sorry if this is a weird post, thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new purchase!

First take your time to set up and get to know your device.

You will find a manual in iBooks (a built-in App).

It is not essential to plug it in straight away or even charge it fully. It will have a charge on arrival.

Keeping your iPad in a case is fine, but take it off whilst charging as it could overheat and this causes damage.

Don't forget to keep a note of any password or passcode you use.

Enjoy your new iPad aind come back if you have any questions.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new purchase!

First take your time to set up and get to know your device.

You will find a manual in iBooks (a built-in App).

It is not essential to plug it in straight away or even charge it fully. It will have a charge on arrival.

Keeping your iPad in a case is fine, but take it off whilst charging as it could overheat and this causes damage.

Don't forget to keep a note of any password or passcode you use.

Enjoy your new iPad aind come back if you have any questions.
I think taking the iPad out of the case for charging is a bit overkill. If your iPad gets that hot during charging, then the case is the least of your worries. I know the older 3&4 th gen put off some heat during charging but not so much with the newer models.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think taking the iPad out of the case for charging is a bit overkill. If your iPad gets that hot during charging, then the case is the least of your worries. I know the older 3&4 th gen put off some heat during charging but not so much with the newer models.

Just commenting above on Brian's thoughts above in bold. Apple's Advice is unclear, i.e. 'remove certain cases during charging' - for myself, I've had 2 iPads since 2011 and both had the standard Apple 'Smart Cover' - I have never removed the cover when charging the device and have not felt the iPad(s) to even be warm during charging; plus, removing some of these covers can be a pain - so if your iPad indeed feels warm/hot during a charge, then try w/o the case, but if still hot then the above advice may be the issue?

In the second Apple quote below, leaving an iPad in direct sunlight w/ high ambient temps or in a hot car will likely be a more potential cause of battery/device damage; so, be aware of that issue. Dave :)

Remove certain cases during charging.Charging your device when it’s inside certain styles of cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity. If you notice that your device gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first. For Apple Watch Edition models, make sure the cover of the magnetic charging case is off.

Avoid extreme ambient temperatures. Your device is designed to perform well in a wide range of ambient temperatures, with 62° to 72° F (16° to 22° C) as the ideal comfort zone. It’s especially important to avoid exposing your device to ambient temperatures higher than 95° F (35° C), which can permanently damage battery capacity. That is, your battery won’t power your device as long on a given charge. Charging the device in high ambient temperatures can damage it further. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly.

treetopguy2028

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the new iPad (2017 model), I have a few questions before I get it (should be getting it Thursday).

I have went through 2 Kindle Fire's, and 1 Samsung tablet in less than a year (different issues). I decided I would try out the Apple iPad 2017. Since I've had such issues with so many tablets I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, when I first get them I will normally use them straight out of the box they work fine for a few months (of pretty much constant use). Eventually something goes wrong (just a few months later normally), like with the kindles they would either have issues with screen (weird graphic steaks or sometimes the screen would flash bright white no matter what screen brightness I had it on. As for the Samsung, it worked great for a few months but then it started randomly doing things I didn't tell it to do (at first some jerk got into my accounts and I had to reset it MULTIPLE times eventually I got that sorted out and they stopped that but I wonder if they somehow did something that is now causing more issues, not sure if that affected it or not) but now it would either randomly stop doing stuff or won't hold a charge. I got fed up and decided to give Apple iPad a try :).

My question are:

1) When I first get it, should I charge it fully before using it, or let it drain to a certain percent? <-- I've been trying to google this but some say to charge it, other says not to so I'm confused.

2) Any suggestions on what I should do to hopefully have a good experience? (as few glitches, battery issues etc).

3) Completely random but does keeping it in a case all the time affect anything (weird question I know but didn't know if that could somehow affect all my issues), should I take it out of a case once in a while? (whenever I get a tablet I always get a case and keep it in it 24/7).

Sorry if this is a weird post, thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.

My words of encouragement are a testimony of many improvements Apple has brought to my life. Both my iPads were bought on eBay as slightly used. My income is low as I am self employed and should retire so when I can afford to buy brand new as I did my 2011 iMac 21.5 it is a day worth celebrating. One of many things you'll appreciate as an Apple owner is service with a smile. You can choose Apple Care help by Chat, you phone or they phone you. Your records are simply tied to your Serial Number and each request for help will be given a Case #. So buy a package of 4x6" lined index cards and a spring clip or a filing box. Since 2012 I have written a card for every help request to keep for referral to look back on...some for iPads, some for our 2 iPhones and some for the Mac. Every card has the case no., description of issue(s), advisor name(s), results and I write follow up notes later so I don't forget.

One of the best hurdles to learn and stretch to get over is the iCloud. It works, it is a vital tool and yet for me it was tough to get through my thick skull. Apple advisors are so well trained to come to your playing field rather than to expect you to come up to theirs.
I am saving up for a new iPad Pro and I'd love to drive 120 miles to the Apple Store to make the upgrade.
Good luck and stay tuned to this Forum to help other newbies who come into the core of Apple think.

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

As for the case deal, on my other tablets I've had this past year I always kept the case on them, charging or not, sometimes they were hot to the touch on the back but I figured they were supposed to do that (show's how little I know lol). Maybe that's why all I've had in the past have messed up (possibly over heating). When I first got them they wouldn't do that (put off a lot of heat to the touch), the more I used them and charged them they started doing that after a few months of use.

Also random question I forgot to mention in my first post, at night I often will use my tablet before I go to bed (I get the cases that I can stand the tablet up in landscape view and watch videos). Well thing is my room is often fairly hot (one of the hottest rooms in my house), so I have a fan on my little nightstand table beside me, can a fan blowing near the tablet affect anything (not really blowing directly on it but it's sitting beside it on the nightstand.

And one last question (not to be a pain with constantly asking questions lol): This one may be a bit silly but here it goes, the way my room is set up I have to use a serge protector to plug in a lot of stuff I keep on my dresser (the plug on the wall is a bit out of reach), can that effect how tablets charge? Is it better to plug it in a wall outlet? (I've heard it doesn't matter but then I hear the wall outlet is better. I can try to rearrange thing so I can use the wall outlet if it's better possibly.

Jupiter7 - Thank you for the tips, I'll check out the manual when I recieve my tablet (as well as checking out the link J.A provided). As for the case I'll give that a try (taking it out while charging). I was curious about that since stated about how all my old tablets in the past would be hot to the touch on the back of the case, I just figured that was normal *blush*.

Again, thanks for the help everyone!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As for the case deal, on my other tablets I've had this past year I always kept the case on them, charging or not, sometimes they were hot to the touch on the back but I figured they were supposed to do that (show's how little I know lol). Maybe that's why all I've had in the past have messed up (possibly over heating). When I first got them they wouldn't do that (put off a lot of heat to the touch), the more I used them and charged them they started doing that after a few months of use.

Well, my post discussed the issue above - I've had no problems w/ keeping on my 'Smart Cover' cases while charging the iPads that I have owned - as a test, simply charge w/o the case and then w/ the case and feel the back of the device - if no or little difference, then likely unimportant.

Also random question I forgot to mention in my first post, at night I often will use my tablet before I go to bed (I get the cases that I can stand the tablet up in landscape view and watch videos). Well thing is my room is often fairly hot (one of the hottest rooms in my house), so I have a fan on my little nightstand table beside me, can a fan blowing near the tablet affect anything (not really blowing directly on it but it's sitting beside it on the nightstand.

Too vague: 1) What type of cases have you used; 2) How do you view these landscape videos, e.g. on your body, on a stand, etc.; 3) What do you mean by 'hot' - give us some F or C temps, e.g. above 80º F; 4) Where do you live; and 5) The fan likely is of no issue - a ceiling fan might help and do you have air conditioning, either whole house or 'in the window'?

And one last question (not to be a pain with constantly asking questions lol): This one may be a bit silly but here it goes, the way my room is set up I have to use a serge protector to plug in a lot of stuff I keep on my dresser (the plug on the wall is a bit out of reach), can that effect how tablets charge? Is it better to plug it in a wall outlet? (I've heard it doesn't matter but then I hear the wall outlet is better. I can try to rearrange thing so I can use the wall outlet if it's better possibly.

What type of 'surge protector' are you using (i.e. a cheapo, something more expensive, an UPS, or other) and how many devices are being powered (and what are the power requirements of these devices) - this is a 'wide open' question that you need to supply much more detail. Dave :)

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh sorry I somehow overlooked that (about the keeping the covers on your tablet) :oops:.

1)I use the I'm assuming are called "Smart cases" (here's a link to the one I ordered for my iPad -- it's pretty much identical to the other's I use) : Amazon.com: New iPad 2017 iPad 9.7 inch Case, ESR Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart Case Trifold Stand with Auto Sleep/Wake Function, Microfiber Lining, Hard Back Cover for Apple New iPad 9.7-inch,Black: Computers & Accessories

2) Kind of both, I'll sometimes watch them laying on my bed and resting my tablet on my chest but most of the time I have them on a "stand" (I get the cases that fold back as a stand) next to me on my nightstand or on a table of some sort.

3) I'm not exactly sure how hot I live with some family members and at times they have the whole house around 76 - 80 degrees don't think my room gets quite that hot (close but not as hot, kind of hard to explain) if I had to guess possibly about 78 degrees or close to it, I try to keep my room cooler than the rest of the house best I can. (which is why I have a fan blowing in my room 24/7 to try to keep the heat down).

4) I live in the US (North Carolina)

5) Oh good (as far as the fan), I wasn't sure if it was blowing slightly on the tablet if it could cause any issues thought I would ask. I may try to get a AC in my window at some point (the house has air conditioning but it rarely is on (long story).

As for the type of serge protector.. oh goodness I'm not sure, it's a "office serge protector" (went to check, it's a "Trip-Lite Internet Office UPS").

(EDIT: right now I have 2 tablets always plugged in, my fan and a desk lamp plugged into the serge protector).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What type of 'surge protector' are you using (i.e. a cheapo, something more expensive, an UPS, or other) and how many devices are being powered (and what are the power requirements of these devices) - this is a 'wide open' question that you need to supply much more detail. Dave :)

@ OP - just to re-emphasize the above, distributing electricity from one or two sockets and protecting the devices attached is important. The first 'combo' pic below shows what I mean by a 'cheapo' surge strip, probably OK for a few items that you would not mind having 'killed' by an electrical storm or power failure; the second image a little better; and the third an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) - more expensive but much more protective of your equipment.

For myself, I have all sorts of these devices in my house, cheap power strips for a few items that I can afford to lose; less expensive UPS devices (usually buy APC products) for my electronic equipment in the den and in our bedrooms; and the BABY below (2nd image) for our iMac - I live in Piedmont North Carolina and electrical storms are common so our electricity goes out occasionally - the latter allows me to close down the iMac, but I actually keep our cable modem & my AirPort Extreme on which lasts for hours on the backup power, so we can still get onto the internet w/ our iPads & my laptops - rather comfy in the dark - ;) Dave
Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 10.49.57 PM.png
APC copy.jpg

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For some reason it won't let me edit my last post, here's a picture like the serge protector I use (only difference is mine has 4 sockets on each side instead of 3, aside from that it's identical).
https://prodzone-tripplite.netdna-ssl.com/shared/product-images/lg/INTERNET350U-FRONT-L.jpg

Although, sometimes when I'm charging my tablets at my desk (not very often) I use a cheapo one that's next to me on my desk (which has a laptop and a big industrial box fan plugged in it, if that matters). I use the first one (the UPS one the most).

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, same type of 'Smart Cover' that I use - should be no problem leaving it on while charging - if still concerned, then test as suggested previously in my last post.

2) Kind of both, I'll sometimes watch them laying on my bed and resting my tablet on my chest but most of the time I have them on a "stand" (I get the cases that fold back as a stand) next to me on my nightstand or on a table of some sort.

OK - does not appear that you're 'smothering' the device that might affect its cooling!

3) I'm not exactly sure how hot I live with some family members and at times they have the whole house around 76 - 80 degrees don't think my room gets quite that hot (close but not as hot, kind of hard to explain) if I had to guess possibly about 78 degrees or close to it, I try to keep my room cooler than the rest of the house best I can. (which is why I have a fan blowing in my room 24/7 to try to keep the heat down).

Well, I keep our AC in the house @ 72º F, so would be warm for us, but those temps should still be fine for your iPad - think of getting a ceiling fan - many are inexpensive - we have the 'low profile' Minka fans in two of our bedrooms (a little more expensive) control either by a remote or a wall replacement - a better option that would eliminate the fan plugged into your surge protector - just a suggestion.

4) I live in the US (North Carolina)

Well, we live in the same state, I'm in Winston-Salem - where are you?

5) Oh good (as far as the fan), I wasn't sure if it was blowing slightly on the tablet if it could cause any issues thought I would ask. I may try to get a AC in my window at some point (the house has air conditioning but it rarely is on (long story).

As for the type of serge protector.. oh goodness I'm not sure, it's a "office serge protector" (went to check, it's a "Trip-Lite Internet Office UPS").

(EDIT: right now I have 2 tablets always plugged in, my fan and a desk lamp plugged into the serge protector).

Well, you showing a Tripp Lite UPS which is much more than just a 'surge protector' which should be fine as the functions you are using the device.
Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.22.22 PM.png

OP
MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh cool, if it shouldn't be a problem I'll more than likely leave it on the tablet then.

I'll look into those fans.

Oh that's cool, I rather not say where at in NC I live (sorry).

Ok great. I was starting to think that could be the cause of my issues I'm having with my Samsung tablet mostly (charging issues mostly), my kindles will hold a charge just other issues with them. My samsung I can use it maybe an hour maybe an hour and a half if I'm lucky) and it dies, I try plugging it in to use it so it will charge it continues to drain, now I can plug it in and wait several days to check it and it maybe at the most 60% charged). Wasn't sure if how I was charging it could be affecting it (I wanted to make sure that wasn't the cause cause I didn't want the same issues with my new iPad).

Thanks so much for the help.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

Jupiter7 - Thank you for the tips, I'll check out the manual when I recieve my tablet (as well as checking out the link J.A provided). As for the case I'll give that a try (taking it out while charging). I was curious about that since stated about how all my old tablets in the past would be hot to the touch on the back of the case, I just figured that was normal *blush*.

Again, thanks for the help everyone!
Glad to help! I see Dave has given you in-depth, excellent advice on the above. Just for the record, I also use Smart Covers, but I fold them to the open position whilst charging.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll look into those fans.
Oh that's cool, I rather not say where at in NC I live (sorry).

No problem about your NC location - really not interested in a specific town or city, just a region, i.e. coast, sandhills, Piedmont, or mountains - all different areas in the state subject to variable considerations.

Just for general information for those interested, when signing into forums, your public IP address is known (unless being spoofed or on a VPN) which will identify your ISP - if needed (e.g. some FBI investigation) the ISP would relinquish the exact location of that IP address, so someone knows - ;)

I'm in a paranoid mode at the moment, especially concerning recent activity in Congress potentially allowing ISP's to sell your browsing history (Source) - currently reading the book below (written by a famous 'cyber criminal' turned 'good guy', I guess) - somewhat scary! As a result, I'm on a VPN at the moment - my ISP's assigned IP to me is in Triad, NC but w/ the VPN activated through one of their East Coast servers, I'm located in New Jersey (2nd image) - am I safer? Don't know but hope so. Dave :)
ArtInvisibility.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.09.46 AM.png

Most reactions