What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 things that suck

Phoxus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.

A Closed App Ecosystem
The iPad only runs apps from the App Store. The same App Store that is notorious for banning apps for no real reason, such as Google Voice. Sure, netbooks might not have touchscreens, but you can install whatever software you'd like on them. Want to run a different browser on your iPad? Too bad!

- SOURCE

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.
It has a stand and works as a computer so it isnt that big.
No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.
Ok this does suck pretty bad. I do multi task a whole lot. It will get a bit annoying when i cant. But a minor problem IMO. Things could be worse.
No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?
A camera would be nice but as you said above it is too big. I dont see how it would work. i can see a little how it would work on the front side. But back not really.
Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.
Touch screen is the future and we have to deal with that.(sooner or later there will be ones that we touch in the air and type.) But you can by a key board.
No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.
And heres were it gets worse......:/. I love HD..cant get enough of this.
The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!
lol. I like jokes so this will be fun.
No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.
Couldnt you use youtube still? Youtube has probably all the videos you need. I dont have flash for the wii and i use YouTube.
Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.
The cables all around are going to be annoying. And some how they always get tangled..
Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!
I just switched to a plasma TV with HD so no prob.
Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.
And no verison...
A Closed App Ecosystem
The iPad only runs apps from the App Store. The same App Store that is notorious for banning apps for no real reason, such as Google Voice. Sure, netbooks might not have touchscreens, but you can install whatever software you'd like on them. Want to run a different browser on your iPad? Too bad!
Theres enough apps to go around.
- SOURCE[/QUOTE]
Overall no system is perfect.(in this life time). And theres alot more good qualities than bad ones. Knowing apple they`ll make a 2nd one and hoepfully it will have some things fixed.:)

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I Agree with most of your points. The only thing I can logically think of is this leaves room for Apple to have iPad v2, iPad v3, iPad v4.

I think the two lacking features I was most disappointed with was no camera for video chat and no flash support.

terry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe the battery is not removable. I am a blackberry addict and the only reason is being the removable battery. I had the Iphone but was sick of having to find a charger midday. I thought for sure this thing would have a removable battery due to it's bigger screen but I guess not. What a shame. That android one looks promising, and one can bet that it will have a removable battery.

Also, that lack of multitasking is ridiculous.

SevenOfNine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now this was a horrible night....

i made up my mind about all that, and i decided NOT TO BUY the iPad as it is now. Most reasons where given for that decission:

- its ugly
- its got glare display like iphone, wont see anything in summer
- with 3G its 649USD WTF?
- iPhone OS
- no multitasking
- no flash
- 1ghz processor .... i mean.... what the hell??
- no camera for videochat

There where some pros though, but i dont see them as selling argument:

- iBooks (this is surely a kindle attack, but a kindle is cheaper)
- 10hrs battery - which i dont believe in anyways
- ips panel - but glare -.-

So, those are totally no dealmakers at all.
Sorry apple, but

#FAIL

As Dan said, if they do better at v2 v3 and so on, it might become something special. what i wanted was a macbook power like device
in a tablet like way.....that would be worth the bucks....but this device is just a better digital photo frame!

SevenofNine

Last edited:

Amy S.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love it. I have a Macbook and G4 (plus we have an HP notebook, that is lousy.)

People need to remember that this is an ipod. I can't multitask on my touch. I don't even want to.

I think that the "greatest generation ever" and "the boomers" are going to love this. We are the ones that pack the Apple store, day after day.

It isn't for the texting generation, so to speak. But there is an app for that.

Jyrbian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No external USB, SD or other memory card reader.

One of the primary reasons that I was looking forward to this device was for photo's. I was not really concerned about there not being a camera built in as I would not use it.

However I would like the ability to view pictures that I just took with my camera. This would also be handy with movies, music and other media not to mention how nice it would be for transporting iWork files.

Most reactions