What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30pin / Lightning USB Camera Connector with Charging Host Capabilities MIDI / music

moosefriend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a little confused here! But I'm sure you folks can help, love the iPad ok.

Anyways, I'm considering getting into computer music with a low power (ie: Korg microKEY 37) via the Camera Adapter USB thing..

Problem is, what if I'm trying to compose music all day/night and eventually the battery runs out on the iPad (considering 3rd or 4th gen.. here.. 10 hours isn't enough when you're trying to write a good song / mix / and stuff)

Doesn't want to buy the IK Multimedia iRig
(because the keyboard I want to use doesn't have actually midi ports. +PLUS!+ is.. their design actually can charge the ipad at the same time as midi data)

Soo.. I've searched far and few between, all I find are flaky documented '5 in 1' 30pin to USB/CF/etc.. card reader things that *apparently* can charge at the same time, but the quality of the product and low price make me consider it's effectiveness in the long term (I want the iPad to last!)

Anything out there specified for this!? Thanks friends!

:ipad-back:

Last edited:
OP
M

moosefriend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh indeed, I've seen the Alesis IO dock, it seems decent:

But, I want to keep my iPad in a pretty owl pattern case, use a smart cover to prop it up (all without removing all these things all the time to fit into a custom device, i cant afford two iPads yet..)

a USB host adapter (with power) of sorts would be: 1. cheaper 2. lighter 3. simpler

I appreciate your response though, it did keep me thinking, I sort of found something online on Amazon (charge/host usb), seems like a hush hush territory to find certain accessories. The thinking part is, it'd be great with all these folks hopping into USB midi control territory, a lot of those fancy sound cards ought to incorporate a simple midi-in/out + usb midi data port! I know a few computer music people out there who would love for such a device (which powers the iPad too). I gotta love those Korg / Akai / GarageBand etc apps, there's a lot of expressive potential in this low latency technology.

Thanks!

Most reactions