What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

64GB 3G Wifi problem?

k5james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else having a problem connecting to their wifi network?

Mine looks like it is connecting but I'm getting a "Safari can't open the page as the device is not connected to the internet" error message when I try to browse.

When I check the DHCP settings it has a funky 169.xxx.x.x IP address and isn't showing anything under router.

I have a Belkin F5D8236-4.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jachrist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please dont think I am insulting your intelligence but is it possible that it is picking up a different wifi signal (neighbor or w/e)???

is that definitely YOUR network? If so, try to hard restart you modem (not just flipping it on/off/on).

OP
K

k5james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please dont think I am insulting your intelligence but is it possible that it is picking up a different wifi signal (neighbor or w/e)???

is that definitely YOUR network? If so, try to hard restart you modem (not just flipping it on/off/on).

No problem. Yes, it's my network's name (funky name my brother came up with). I click on it and it prompts for my password, which I enter. It then shows a checkmark next to the name of my network and even shows the little signal icon in the upper left corner of the screen.

It's weird.

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reset your router by unplugging and then plugging the power cord. Try reconnecting.

OP
K

k5james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reset your router by unplugging and then plugging the power cord. Try reconnecting.

Tried that and tried to reset my ipad as well.

I'm hoping it's just a communication issue with my specific router and not a device problem...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm probably going to annoy you...so, like the last poster said, please don't get cross. What I'm about to say is probably what you know already and it's that problem that you're trying to solve.

You say that you iPad has a '169' IP address. As you almost certainly know, this is an invalid IP address - which is why you're not connected to the Internet.

How to change a 169 IP Address | eHow.com

The article above discusses this problem. OK - I know what you're thinking - 'Yes, I know I have an invalid IP address and that's why I'm not connected to the Internet and ****that's the problem I'm trying to solve*****'

OK - sorry - I'll go away and think about it some more.....

It's 5am in the UK - sleepless night...must get a life...

Tim
Scotland

OP
K

k5james

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You say that you iPad has a '169' IP address. As you almost certainly know, this is an invalid IP address - which is why you're not connected to the Internet.

The article above discusses this problem. OK - I know what you're thinking - 'Yes, I know I have an invalid IP address and that's why I'm not connected to the Internet and ****that's the problem I'm trying to solve*****'
OK - sorry - I'll go away and think about it some more.....

It's 5am in the UK - sleepless night...must get a life...

Tim
Scotland

No problem. If I knew everything, I wouldn't be here. I definitely understand the 169 address is bs but as of yet I've been unable to get rid of it.

I think I have a date for several hours with apple tech support tomorrow afternoon...

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
Make sure you're typing the encryption passphrase (password to connect to your wi-fi network) exactly as it's spelled. If there are any capitals in the password it has to be typed in exactly the same.

Some devices will act like they're connecting if you get the password close but, will not connect.

Jo.Booty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else having a problem connecting to their wifi network?

Mine looks like it is connecting but I'm getting a "Safari can't open the page as the device is not connected to the internet" error message when I try to browse.

When I check the DHCP settings it has a funky 169.xxx.x.x IP address and isn't showing anything under router.

I have a Belkin F5D8236-4.

Anyone have any ideas?

Check to see if you've enabled other security settings on the router. I use MAC ID restrictions in addition to WEP encryption to ensure there are no unwanted connections to my network.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Changing the security settings using your computer may resolve the issue. I will put to gather a. couple of fixes that seem to work. Part of the problem is there is no set standard for N routers and new technology like the ipad and even new pc's , smartphones, gaming. boxes etc can have issues so at the end of the day buy a good quality router or modem router like netgear 600 and correctly set the security and this generally resolves the issue plus providing faster transfer of data.

Last edited:

incognito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with jo.booty. Are you sure you don't have mac filter turned on? What happens if you try to access your router from your ipad? The addy is usually 192.168.1.1

Sent from my iPad 2!

incognito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that my iPad 2 fits in the sleeve with the smart cover on. The sleeve is also small enough to fit in my bag I use to carry my work laptop.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why don't you turn the password off in the router, so you can rule out the password as the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts