What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 64gb wifi only......internet possible with mobile phone???

derrydave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been told that even though I havent got a 3g Ipad2, just the 64gb wifi one, thats its possible to connect my mobile phone internet connection to the ipad2 to allow me to browse internet when i've got no wifi connection available.
Question is .....Is this true, and if so HOW??
Thanks for interest/help.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to tether it..find some tethering app for ur mobile then connect it via wifi

Klaudia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It can be done if you have a Data Plan on your phone. How to go about doing it, depends on YOUR specific phone.

In our family we use Android devices on Verizon. I rooted everyone and now use a wifi tethering app. You can also use Hotspot from your service provider.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Providing you have a data plan for Internet on your phone you'll be fine. If you're using an android phone the chances are you'll be able to go into settings and then find your network/wireless settings and then you should have the option to create a tether which turns your phone into a wifi hotspot. The steps to do the tethering will more than likely be explained when you set it up for the first time. If you have a phone running iOS there may be an app for tethering although I'm not sure and if not you can probably do it through a jailbreak. Most smart phones nowadays should be able to tether, it's just finding the way to do it.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whats tether it mean?

Tethering means to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot. This effectively makes your phone perform the same function that a 3G radio in a 3G iPad performs. Some phones provide this functionality; others don't. Most of the smartphones released in the last year have the capability. The simplest way to accomplish tethering is to call your phone service provider and ask them to add tethering to your existing phone data plan. Typically this costs about $20 per month. Your carrier will then tell you how to set up tethering on your phone. (It's typically done by turning on the feature in the settings menu of your phone.) Once done, your iPad will recognize your phone as a wifi source. Connect to it just as you would connect your iPad to any wifi network and the phone will then connect to the internet just as it does when you're using the phone to surf the web.

If you don't want to pay the $20 per month tethering charge, there are ways to activate tethering on your phone without informing your carrier. This typically involves "rooting" (on an Android phone) or "jailbreaking" on an iPhone. If you go this route, be aware that you are almost certainly violating your contract with your phone carrier. And while they cannot (or will not) determine that you are tethering another device to your phone, they will keep an eye out for spikes in your usage of 3G on the phone and may conclude your are tethering another device to use the phone's data plan. If that occurs, they can decide to charge you for doing so or may cancel your contract (though the latter is unlikely.)

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Tethering means to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot. This effectively makes your phone perform the same function that a 3G radio in a 3G iPad performs. Some phones provide this functionality; others don't. Most of the smartphones released in the last year have the capability. The simplest way to accomplish tethering is to call your phone service provider and ask them to add tethering to your existing phone data plan. Typically this costs about $20 per month. Your carrier will then tell you how to set up tethering on your phone. (It's typically done by turning on the feature in the settings menu of your phone.) Once done, your iPad will recognize your phone as a wifi source. Connect to it just as you would connect your iPad to any wifi network and the phone will then connect to the internet just as it does when you're using the phone to surf the web.

If you don't want to pay the $20 per month tethering charge, there are ways to activate tethering on your phone without informing your carrier. This typically involves "rooting" (on an Android phone) or "jailbreaking" on an iPhone. If you go this route, be aware that you are almost certainly violating your contract with your phone carrier. And while they cannot (or will not) determine that you are tethering another device to your phone, they will keep an eye out for spikes in your usage of 3G on the phone and may conclude your are tethering another device to use the phone's data plan. If that occurs, they can decide to charge you for doing so or may cancel your contract (though the latter is unlikely.)

Quick correction... You are not voiding your contract for the line. But essentially the warranty on a phone. However, there are ways to undo the changes to "unvoid" the warranty

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

MelvinTopaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another option is you can set up a Mobil hotspot giving wify access to several devices without tethering a phone (which as best I can tell will mean changing your cell phone data plan) or using a computer. Virgin Mobil has cheapest option I've found because rather than signing a two year contract you buy by the month as service is needed and used. On my set you do not use this service you do not pay!

Dotdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
derrydave said:
Hi all,
I've been told that even though I havent got a 3g Ipad2, just the 64gb wifi one, thats its possible to connect my mobile phone internet connection to the ipad2 to allow me to browse internet when i've got no wifi connection available.
Question is .....Is this true, and if so HOW??
Thanks for interest/help.

I have a motorola droid and I just Bluetooth the two together and now I'm on the Internet. Hope this helps

amosheath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Droid 3 on Verizon. I use the hotspot and it never misses a beat. The net is as fast on the hotspot as my cable connection at home.

noddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad2 wifi only and I connected to my iPhone 4S using the personal hotspot feature last week whilst in London. I was reliant on the 3G network which was a bit slow in the capital, but it worked ok.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
freebirdforever said:
Quick correction... You are not voiding your contract for the line. But essentially the warranty on a phone. However, there are ways to undo the changes to "unvoid" the warranty

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I work for a firm that is a division of a large national telecom carrier. Un-authorized tethering is a violation of your Term Of Service (TOS) contract.
Billing wise it remains a grey area but that will change as the tablet explosion places greater and greater demand on bandwidth.

AA

Most reactions