What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"5 Row Customizable Keyboard" by Ganbold (clearing up confusion)

koenan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"5 Row Customizable Keyboard" by Ganbold

I want to clarify this for anyone interested as I have seen there is a lot of confusion surrounding this tweak.

It was very poorly named as there are several others with similar names and the instructions for it are incomplete at best.

Pros:

• Works on 5.1.1 and the new iPad
  • It is compatible with color keyboard,
  • It supports the split keyboard (unlike iKeyWi)

Possible issues
  • There might be some spell check issues with it being created from the Russian keyboard but I haven't confirmed this.
  • You cant add emoji characters as keys
  • The raised lines on the Home buttons are shifted over by one key to the left.
  • You can't reassign backspace and other keys like it or add arrows from what I can tell.

Installing

• After you install this from Cydia, follow the instructions from the description in Cydia then go to the next paragraph.
  • What the instructions leave out, is that you have to then go to the 5 row Customizable settings pane and then type the keys out.

Initially in the tweaks settings pane you see this(not exactly but close):

Row 1 (11 Chars)
Row 2 (11 Chars)
Row 3 (11 Chars)
Row 4 (11 Chars)

Shift-Row 1 (11 Chars)
Shift-Row 2 (11 Chars)
Shift-Row 3 (11 Chars)
Shift-Row 4 (11 Chars)

Now those are "blank" and appear just like above. You have to manually type in the list of keys for each row. Here is what it may look like after you fill it out(the example below is just a rough idea)

Row 1 (11 Chars) qwertyuiop
Row 2 (11 Chars) asdfghjkl
Row 3 (11 Chars) zxcvbnm
Row 4 (11 Chars) 1234567890

Shift-Row 1 (11 Chars) -/:;()$&@"'
Shift-Row 2 (11 Chars) []{}#%^*+=
Shift-Row 3 (11 Chars) ¥£€><|\__
Shift-Row 4 (11 Chars) 1208472939

Important: Now each row must have the EXACT number of chars it says otherwise it will not render.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification.

One question, though: What happens when the shift key is pressed? You describe (and I saw in Cydia) that you can customize the four rows. What about the fourth row when the shift key is pressed; is that also customizable or is that just numbers? Is there a fourth row when the shift key is depressed? I couldn't tell this from the description

Regardless, this new tweak (update?) sounds very cool for someone who likes to use the split keyboard...

Marilyn

OP
K

koenan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are actually 8 rows of definable keys. I only used 4 in my example to illustrate the process but in the actual settings pane there are 4 rows as I described and then 4 more for the shift mode. So it would really look like:

Row 1 (11 Chars)
Row 2 (11 Chars)
Row 3 (11 Chars)
Row 4 (11 Chars)

Shift-Row 1 (11 Chars)
Shift-Row 2 (11 Chars)
Shift-Row 3 (11 Chars)
Shift-Row 4 (11 Chars)

OP
K

koenan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think he may have authored the orignal 5 row keyboard used in like iOS 4 which is still a separate tweak. No idea why he would release an updated tweak with a slight variation in the name if he did indeed make the original.

Most reactions

Latest posts