What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 year old girl gets psychiatric treatment for iPad addiction

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
697699-ipad-child.jpg

​
Technology might be one of the most cherished miracles of our time-age, but it has its dark sides. Educators have been insisting for a while now that unlimited access to gadgets is very harmful for children, who end up not being able to concentrate in a school environment.

However, gadget fondness has now been proved to take even pathological proportions. A British girl, aged 4, is receiving psychiatric help due to her unhealthy obsession with one of Apple’s iconic devices – the iPad.

The child has been using the device since she was three and she usually plays games on it. But when her parents or doctors take it away, instructing her to do other things, she exhibits the classic addict behavior. Doctors have even spotted withdrawal symptoms in her.​​

A recent survey has shown that half of the participants in a study allow their babies or very young children to play with gadgets such as smartphones or tablets.

The Capio Nightingale Clinic in London, where the 4 year girl has been hospitalized, has a program aimed at patients experiencing similar issues. “A digital detox programme” costs as much as £16,000 . Parents would be advised not to leave shiny gadgets around the house, because children will normally be attracted to it. And with their brains being so susceptible at this very tender age, kids will end up experiencing the world through the gadgets. And we all know the world is much more than that.

Source: DailyTelegraph

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Give me a freaking break! I suppose they want to sue apple now. The parents should be prosecuted for neglect.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, some people can't be trusted to take responsibility for their own actions, much less be responsible for children. Then society is left to deal with their spawn.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well.... I always said these things weren't for kids ...

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

ewehforum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It happens when we become too gadget-free with children. Lets give children what their age require and can hamdle

jollyxier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, my god! I think I should pay more attention to my little girl now because she usually plays iPad games like iSwinging and Carrot Fantasy for a few hours. Her cousin likes these games too but she can control herself, but my baby can't.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow. Just when you thought you'd heard it all. You haven't. It's almost funny, except that it isn't. Whatever.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, my god! I think I should pay more attention to my little girl now because she usually plays iPad games like iSwinging and Carrot Fantasy for a few hours. Her cousin likes these games too but she can control herself, but my baby can't.

Your little girl... a few hours... and can't control herself? Yes, I believe it may be time for you to pay more attention. Do you think she may have been conditioned beyond the point of what is normal by watching you play games? Just a thought, not meaning to preach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At the DMV today, one parent ignores what appeared to be about 3 year old girl who is walking around staring at an iPod trying to talk to it for more than 20 minutes while another hands her little girl an iPad and tells her to go over there and leave mommy alone (pointing across the waiting area).

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It happens when we become too gadget-free with children. Lets give children what their age require and can hamdle

Yup!!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately, some people can't be trusted to take responsibility for their own actions, much less be responsible for children. Then society is left to deal with their spawn.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At the DMV today, one parent ignores what appeared to be about 3 year old girl who is walking around staring at an iPod trying to talk to it for more than 20 minutes while another hands her little girl an iPad and tells her to go over there and leave mommy alone (pointing across the waiting area).

Sad. I would be worried that the kid would break my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts