What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16GB or 32GB?

springerdog1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was all set to replace my original iPad with a new 4th gen. 16GB has always been enough storage for me. After the announcement of the 128GB today, I am wondering if it would be a bad move to buy a 16GB. Three years from now when I go to unload the 16GB will it have no value because 16GB device will be ancient history?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the question is will YOU use the 32 GB effectively or not. Three-year old mobile devices will not fetch top dollar anyway. If you don't need more than 16GB, then that is what I would get.

Now for me, I will effectively use just about any amount of storage space they can fit inside an iPad. I would NEVER buy the 16GB version. But that's me, not you or any of a zillion folks who are happy with a 16GB model. Keep in mind that Apple doesn't seem to be getting rid of the 16GB model, though I personally think they should.

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel a lot better with the 32gig. I had a 16 a gig iPad 2, but deleting apps and re downloading became a pain.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
I always go big or go home. But that's me. Never met a mobile device that had too much storage. That 128GB Apple announced today put a twinkle in my eye.
;)

And I agree with AQ. A purchase of a computer or tablet ought to be based on needs / wants vs., resale value.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the ipad 2 32gb and to be honest I never came close to filling the thing with 16 gb of stuff, so after selling that I bought the 16gb ipad 4.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 32 gb iPad and it fits my needs. I don't have to worry about storage as I do with my 16gb iPhone. I wish I would have listened to the advice of others and went with the 32 Gb on my phone. I am now constantly checking storage to make sure I am not over.

So bottom line, always buy a little more in a device even though you may not used it now...but may in the future.

Enjoy your new iPad!

Ski ~

iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered the 32GB. Took the plunge!

Rock on!! As others said you wont be disappointed. Plus if you want to upgrade to the next new iPad in the future you'll get more money back in the long run. Then if you've decided that 32gig is too much you'll be in great shape on the future 16gig.

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buy as much as you can afford. Bigger is almost always better. I have the 32 GB iPad 4 model. I will definitely be getting the iPad 5 possibly the 128 GB WiFi model. Hope new Ipad comes out this Spring.

InHisName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my son this one to help teach him to talk and learn more. I got the 64GB cause I didn't expect apple to allow memory upgrades. So far after nearly two months, we are down to 45.8GB free, so we have already passed by the 16 gig point in less than 60 days !

I got it used for pretty good price and have no regrets missing out paying full retail for 128 gigs.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

Tigerman82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've struggled with this dilemma for a long time. I finally pulled the trigger and bought iPad 4 16Gb Wifi-only. I haven't yet opened the box as I'm waiting for the accessories to arrive.

I've read through dozens of threads about this question. Unfortunately, it is my feeling that many answers are misleading. Not all of us want to store the sama data in every device. Not all of us have huge music and video collection. Not all of us keep apps that they don't really even use (I mean who uses 5-10 pages of apps regularly). The problem here is that when people who are so-called datahoards are answering to questions posted by those who do not necessarily store that much data in the iPad, the latter group thinks that even a 32Gb-model is too modest.

Let's think about this from my own pespective. A 16Gb iPad will have 13-14Gb of actual space. If you aren't into hardcore Retina apps and don't have time or will to use dozens of apps regulary, you will struggle using more than 2Gb for them. The first apps I'm going to download will be Quickoffice Pro HD (under 50Mb) and two Monkey Island -games (357Mt/game). That's about 800 Mb. If you add a dozen more apps, have only 1-3 games at a time, it's hard to get beyond 2Gb. Next, photos. Well, I would probably test the iPad's photo abilities and use the Retina-display to view other phots, but I doubt I would ever have over 50 JPEG photos in there. Music? Nope, I use my phone for that. So we are still at about 2-2.5Gb used. I know people are saying that some apps will bloat in size in the future, but that is not going to mean that 2Gb will turn to 4Gb. We're most likely talking about games and speciality apps (such as iMovie). Finally, videos, and we have 13-14Gb - 2-2.5Gb = 10.5-12Gb of space left in the iPad. Videos do take a lot of space. I recently Handbraked a 1.5-hour movie with "Apple TV 2" preset with stereo-audio only and lowered the bitrate/quality to 1400 which was still okey for SD/DVD according to a couple threads. The file size was 1.25Gb. In other words, I could still fit about six SD movies in there. Of course one is tempted to use the iPad's HD Camera to shoot 1080p video, but from what I've understood, you need to shoot a long clip before megabytes turn into gigabytes. I'm not into filming that much as I'd probably just shoot 2-3 clips of 0.5-2 minutes a year.

I think I've made a pretty good case for the iPad 16Gb. You do need to manage files (delete games you don't play and movies you've just watched). On the other hand, it just seems a bit much to pay Apple $100 for the 32Gb when I know that I would never be beyond 20Gb usage even if I tried. Moreover, I bought the iPad as a secondary device that I'd use when writing my university papers on the go and surfing/playing/watching movies modestly when I travel. I can also use iCloud and DropBox although in my country Wifi isn't everywhere.

Still, I must admit the 32Gb tempts me a bit. I just know that I wouldn't be happy if I constantly saw "20Gb of free space" in the settings.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can put it anyway you want............
But, the fact remains I'd rather have extra memory sitting there being unused than to be constantly slamming up against the "out of memory" brick wall.

Figure it out for yourself what you will need then purchase the next size bigger.........you won't regret it. :thumbs:
Having to constantly shuffle apps, music, photos, videos, etc to conserve space is a PIA.........$100 is cheap in comparison IMHO.

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16GB ipad.. and even with my music on it and all the apps i plan on using I still have 5 gigs left.. all depends on what you intend to use it for

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16GB ipad.. and even with my music on it and all the apps i plan on using I still have 5 gigs left.. all depends on what you intend to use it for

Same here. 8gb left with nothing left to put on it. That's why I went for the 16gb.

Most reactions

Latest posts