What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have i been stupid?

ashio83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the title says. A couple of days back i ordered a white wifi only 16Gb iPad 2 the price was £385 delivered a fair price i thought because it would save me some money towards a cover.
Anyways after a couple of days browsing on ebayUK i have spotted a manufacturer refurbished iPad 1st gen 32Gb 3G+Wifi for £323 now this tempted me because deep down i wasnt happy with the 16gb of storage i was going to get with the iPad 2 but i couldnt afford the 32Gb model.

So ive cancelled my iPad 2 and opted for the 1st gen, now some may call me mental but i have never experienced an iPad before so im presuming the 1st gen will blow me away like it did millions of people this time last year.
I have no need of the mediocre cameras, i have a phone and a digi cam for the photography side of things, im also not going to take full advantage of the "9x faster graphics" of the iPad 2 either because the most graphically intense game im likely to play is Angry Birds.

I suppose im looking for someone to tell me ive not just made the biggest mistake of my life :) If anyone has any opinions on this, let me know.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the title says. A couple of days back i ordered a white wifi only 16Gb iPad 2 the price was £385 delivered a fair price i thought because it would save me some money towards a cover.
Anyways after a couple of days browsing on ebayUK i have spotted a manufacturer refurbished iPad 1st gen 32Gb 3G+Wifi for £323 now this tempted me because deep down i wasnt happy with the 16gb of storage i was going to get with the iPad 2 but i couldnt afford the 32Gb model.

So ive cancelled my iPad 2 and opted for the 1st gen, now some may call me mental but i have never experienced an iPad before so im presuming the 1st gen will blow me away like it did millions of people this time last year.
I have no need of the mediocre cameras, i have a phone and a digi cam for the photography side of things, im also not going to take full advantage of the "9x faster graphics" of the iPad 2 either because the most graphically intense game im likely to play is Angry Birds.

I suppose im looking for someone to tell me ive not just made the biggest mistake of my life :) If anyone has any opinions on this, let me know.

You have made the right decision. I have an iPad1 and I too don't need the camera and I don't play games. Plus - you'll have read about the problems with iPad2 screen 'bleeding' - it's the subject of many threads on this Forum. The iPad1 screen was fixed in an entirely different manner and doesn't suffer from that problem. 3G will be great and you'll love the iPad1. Great decision!! You won't regret it..

Tim

ashley69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You have made the right decision. I have an iPad1 and I too don't need the camera and I don't play games. Plus - you'll have read about the problems with iPad2 screen 'bleeding' - it's the subject of many threads on this Forum. The iPad1 screen was fixed in an entirely different manner and doesn't suffer from that problem. 3G will be great and you'll love the iPad1. Great decision!! You won't regret it..

Tim

Here here. Good decision .
Ash

OP
ashio83

ashio83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers guys, i have noticed quite a few threads regarding the 'Bleeding' issue and to be quite honest it did scare me, i can see the scenario now, id receive my iPad 2, it would have the dreaded screen bleeding then i would return it to apple then 2 weeks later i would receive a 'new' iPad 2 which would also suffer from the same issues and..... well you get the picture.

Im glad i have your support on this, i think i'll wait until an iPad is released that is considerably more of an upgrade than the iPad 1 to iPad 2 transition. Any advice on some killer apps?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers guys, i have noticed quite a few threads regarding the 'Bleeding' issue and to be quite honest it did scare me, i can see the scenario now, id receive my iPad 2, it would have the dreaded screen bleeding then i would return it to apple then 2 weeks later i would receive a 'new' iPad 2 which would also suffer from the same issues and..... well you get the picture.

Im glad i have your support on this, i think i'll wait until an iPad is released that is considerably more of an upgrade than the iPad 1 to iPad 2 transition. Any advice on some killer apps?

What sort of apps are you looking for - games, movies, music, business? Have a look around and you'll find loads of recommendations - there's a top-10 apps thread that has hundreds of Members' favourites.

Tim

OP
ashio83

ashio83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers Tim, i'll have a peep at that thread.

Last edited:

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah, right choice. I have a 1st gen and not bothered about the Camera etc. I also have a 32GB but 3G & Wi-fi. 32GB is great, You'll get loads on it. Well done

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 still serves me well, and I say that as someone who also owns an iPad 2. I also got my husband an iPad 1 on clearance.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have made the right choice. If you have no need for the camera or screen mirroring then the iPad 1 will serve you well. I personally found the upgrade to iPad 2 to be worthwhile but certainly non essential - it was just overall small improvements in performance here and there that made me upgrade. If you don't spend time with an iPad 2 then you will be non the wiser and just as happy.

OP
ashio83

ashio83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't spend time with an iPad 2 then you will be non the wiser and just as happy.
Ha ignorance is bliss, eh?

Thanks guys i definately feel like i have made the right decision now. @donka i beleive there is a JB tweak to enable mirroring on the iPad 1, i could be wrong but im sure i read that somewhere. Anyways it makes no odds as that is a feature that doesnt interest me, i think thats more of a teaching aid or something to be implemented in a corporate environment. Cheers guys.

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2. The cameras are good for documentation purposes but not for much else. I have several friends with both the 1 and the 2 and the 9X graphics processor speed difference is hardly noticeable according to them. I too think that the 1 is a very solid machine and almost as strong as the 2. Follow your instincts...

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ashio83 said:

I think you'll be very happy with the first generation iPad. If the features of the second don't do anything for you, then there's no reason to get them. If all you need is a screen, memory, and accessibility, you can't go wrong for that price point.

Reaction score
Angry Birds plays just fine on the Ipad 1.
If that's the heaviest graphics you'll need you will thoroughly enjoy the Ipad 1

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Most reactions

Latest posts