What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Apple ever make an ipad with an sd card slot?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fwdcode said:
You could use cloud storage if your iPad doesn't have enough space for you. Log in and access your files. ie. Me.com I know that it is an extra expense but it is a solution.

There are plenty of free cloud options.........plus a possibility that something will be coming in the iCloud on Monday, hopefully not rain!

The Archangel

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Um, I hate to break it to you, but of all of the systems of pirated apps I have ever seen, Apple's is by far the most extensive and streamlined. That is, among any other platform including the PC platform, the easiest and fastest and most complete pirating of apps that I have EVER seen was on iOS. We aren't allowed to talk about the program here, but rest assured that the pirating of apps is WAY beyond starting to happen. I don't think an app is released that isn't immediately pirated within the same day. I mean, not only does this pirated app store let you download and install the apps on the device, but it also allows you to sync them with itunes, check for updates and install them, etc, etc, etc. And believe me, it wouldn't be this polished and RIDICULOUSLY pervasive if there wasn't a TON of people using it.

You are absolutely right Thphilli and it's extremely sad that piracy is so pervasive on our platform, particularly as jailbreaking is often confused with piracy by the general public, much to my dismay :mad:
It's also sad that generations of users are now coming to the fore via mobile devices who expect to be able to steal all their software and services as though it is their right by simply owning the device. :(

Nothing wrong with your comments at all, but as a preventative measure can I ask everyone to be careful not to open up a debate any further on this subject please?
Our rules are clear (linked in my sig), we don't support or condone piracy in any way here, and these policies are not open for challenge on the forums. Thanks everyone :)

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Conspiration! Evil plans! Greedy! Why, oh why do people think that companies are evil? Apple, Microsoft, Sun, IBM, Dell,Google, etc... They are all guilty for making money...

I surely hope that Apple is making money, cause if they go bankrupt, no more iOS products.

Storage space on iOS device is mainly for apps, a few movies and music. I have the 16 gigs, and it's more than enough.

Doing some math, a good quality movie is around 700MB. 14 gigs is about available on a 16 gigs model. That means that you can fit around 20 movies on this iPad. For a 64 gigs, that's around 88 movies. Since the 64gigs is the highest capacity storage available, that means that 88 movies, at 10$ a movie (got them on sale at Walmart...) equals to 880$... Because you are expected to buy them of course. Even with cheap on sale movies, it's hard to imagine spending all that money in the lifetime of iPad itself.

Let's say that you fill it up with music... 0.99$ for each tune for abound 5 mb for good quality. On a 64 gigs, you can store around 12400 tunes. That's more than 12 000$. If you have that kind of money, you can surely buy a few iPads just in case ;)

So the 64 gigs is more than enough for any budget! If you have more tunes or movies than that,we all know how you got them ;)

Do not ask Apple (or any company) to consider the case where you do stuff not quite legal...

So beside movies and tunes, what could take so much space that you would need bigger storage? Movie editing, iPad is not meant for that. Hi-res pictures, no meant for that, all the free apps on the app store, get a life! :)

I just can't see in a normal usage going over 64 gigs! Having USB port, SD reader on the device would mean more support, higher price for the device, maybe less battery time or bigger/thicker device... Apple did their homework and the iPad, as it is, is the best solution for the average Joe.

12000 tunes, that 800 hours of listening time... More than a whole month of continuous party in your ears. 88 movies, that's 132 hours, thus 5.5 days of watching time. You eyes will bleed before that :)

VicoPad addict!

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying that if I don't like it, don't buy it. But you act as if I have a choice. One of the main reasons why I went with an ipad instead of another tablet is so I could access the itunes store which is supposed to have much more content than the Android market. And the only way to access the itunes market is to buy an Apple product (iphone, ipod, ipad). Believe me, if there was an alternative tablet that could access itunes, I'd have gone with that.

Also, you all keep making excuses for Apple, but not one person here can honestly say that they wouldn't be happy if Apple added an SD card slot. Sure, there is a camera kit, but that is nowhere near as convenient as an SD card slot would be.

The new Android powered Samsung 10.1 comes with no sd slot and a choice of 16bg or 32 gb only.
When you have a machine as thin as the market demand something has to give. Don't blame Apple, blame those that buy a product they aren't satisfied with.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jnewell said:
I'd be happy to be wrong! :D But no one who buys an Apple mobile product should expect any of those things today.

Of course, I understand what you are saying and you are probably right. We also both know that competition should relentlessly force a myriad of changes to our iPads in the very near future and continuing onwards indefinitely. In the meantime, thanks to this incredible company, we can all enjoy these marvelous machines now as they are fully functional as they are. :)

Last edited:

Grooveguru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out the new Seagate GoFlex Satelite. 500 gigs and contains wireless network server. $199.00 coming in July

Trumpet444

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Complete customer freedom/choice. If an sd card slot was ever available with the ipad or iphone, it would only be compatible with a specially made "Apple" brand sd card and would cost twice as much as normal market price. Piracy has nothing to do with it. Remember that little physical switch that they changed to a mute switch and ol' Steve-o said we will not have an option to change it back? And remember that camera app that was pulled from the app store for giving the consumer the choice as to which physical button they would like to use as the shutter? I have yet to buy the ipad2 solely because there is no jb for it yet. I dont like apron strings

Herrflik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never needed or wanted an SD card slot in my iPad, I cant see the need for adding one as i use dropbox for work and just put any movies i want on before i travel. I have a 16Gb 3G and it works great, for heavy mp3 and app use i have my ipod touch 64Gb :p

Im interested in this Airstash though... where can I get one from? the seagate sattelite looks ok but i dont believe i will ever need that much portable wireless space

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Complete customer freedom/choice. If an sd card slot was ever available with the ipad or iphone, it would only be compatible with a specially made "Apple" brand sd card and would cost twice as much as normal market price.

ROTFLMAO, how true.

I agree 100% with the poster who said there isn't a user here who wouldn't be happier with a working sd card slot, but the apple fanboys will never admit that in 100 years so it's not worth arguing about on a site like this.

As soon as there is a feature that doesn't work in any apple product regardless of what it is, all the apple apologists immediately decide it is unnecessary ......

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never needed or wanted an SD card slot in my iPad, I cant see the need for adding one as i use dropbox for work and just put any movies i want on before i travel. I have a 16Gb 3G and it works great, for heavy mp3 and app use i have my ipod touch 64Gb :p

Im interested in this Airstash though... where can I get one from? the seagate sattelite looks ok but i dont believe i will ever need that much portable wireless space

Here is the airstash

AirStashâ„¢: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

I have one and it works very well

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would totally love to have one built in. I just don't think uncle Steve will do it in a month of Sundays and the lack of it currently doesn't bother me either... The odd time I need it, I fire up the CCK and iFile. Job done.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would totally love to have one built in. I just don't think uncle Steve will do it in a month of Sundays and the lack of it currently doesn't bother me either... The odd time I need it, I fire up the CCK and iFile. Job done.

In my mind, I'd go for removable media in a heartbeat.

In real life, I can count the number of times I've removed cards from my Android and earlier phones on the fingers of one hand and have several left over... :D

Reaction score
Complete customer freedom/choice. If an sd card slot was ever available with the ipad or iphone, it would only be compatible with a specially made "Apple" brand sd card and would cost twice as much as normal market price. Piracy has nothing to do with it. Remember that little physical switch that they changed to a mute switch and ol' Steve-o said we will not have an option to change it back? And remember that camera app that was pulled from the app store for giving the consumer the choice as to which physical button they would like to use as the shutter? I have yet to buy the ipad2 solely because there is no jb for it yet. I dont like apron strings

You forgot about the battery. If iPhone had a user changeable battery how much would it cost? No need to worry as it won't ever happen.
The only time I've needed to remove my SD cards is if one goes bad. I suppose the apps on my phone are probably much smaller but I make up for it with pictures and videos. I'm a pack rat of photographic media on my phones. If my iPad had a camera I'd probably see the need for a card but I'm ok with it without as cloud storage is one of my triple saves of media anyway. All my photos are on my hard drive, on cd, on a cloud somewhere( I use several) and still on my phones.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts