What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16gb ipad users- how do you manage space

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am, planning to get the ipad2. I am however, not sure which size to get. I will be playing a few games music probably 1-2gb. Movies is what is concerning me.

How do you owners of ipad and 1 and 2 16gb have expanded size. cloud service(dropbox).
Also, I am planning to get wi-fi only, i have an iphone 4 too. Now if i am travelling how can i remotely access videos on my computer through airvideo without 3g. Can I add personal hotspot to my iphone and get the wifi needed for my ipad to work when i am traveling or in the car.

Give me some ideas

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the AT&T hotspot on my iPhone 4

and it connects just fine. I also have 3g available.

With over 44 gig of material on my iPad I can't conceive of how I would manage 16 gig of storage. For starters, I guess I would deep six the 3000 or so songs I have on it and devote those solely to my iPod Nano and legacy iPods.

iMadHatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it would be hard for me to get down to 16 GB i have 25 GB's in music and movies by themselves.

But like you said the best way would be to stream everything from an online storage client or a remote desktop app.

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use every bit of my 64gb. About 50gb of that are movies and tv shows. Your average HD movie eats up about 3 or 4 gigs and one season of your typical tv show in HD will eat up about 10 gig. So you can see that even with my 64gb, I can't really store an extensive video library. I just freed up 10gb by putting my music on Amazon's cloud and as soon as Apple or Amazon roll out a video cloud player, I'll move my video to the cloud. Then 64gb should be plenty for Apps, Books, and any media I want available full-time.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on the media you plan on storing as to whether or not 16gb will be enough. Future implementation of cloud media storage/players will further help make that possible.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all of my music on my iPhone. Had about six movies and 20 TV shows on my 16GB.

Really depends on your mix. I had an Archos I carried around for years and realized I only watched 4 or 5 movies on a regular basis. The others I roll in and out.

Worked so well for me I got an iPad 16GB as well.

Veritas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all of my music on my iPhone. Had about six movies and 20 TV shows on my 16GB.

Really depends on your mix. I had an Archos I carried around for years and realized I only watched 4 or 5 movies on a regular basis. The others I roll in and out.

Worked so well for me I got an iPad 16GB as well.

That's really all you gotta do.

Reaction score
If I'm done with it, it's gone is how I manage on my 16gb Ipad. I have 7 songs,500 photos, no movies or TV shows and 100+ apps with over 11gb left available. I watch tv and movies but don't keep them on there and it's too cumbersome to use my iPad as a music player when I have a Zen music player and a good player on my phone. I just don't figure on ever using my iPad for music while cutting grass :D

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

Last edited:

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have three DVD rips, some songs (a few hundred ) and plenty of space. Since apple forces me to connect periodically, sixteen gigs is plenty for me. If the iPad was standalone I would want much more.

Plwebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep my music on my iPhone 4. I have only a few songs on my iPad because I want to use it for apps. I don't have movies on my iPad but rather stream movies from Netflix. Therefore, I still have about one third free space left.

sgregg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use pandora for music, hulu plus for tv and netflix for tv and movies, so apps and books are the only thing
That gets stored on the ipad. 16g is more than enough space for me.

OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your quick response and suggestions. I guess I will go with the 16gb.

The only other thing is can I use my iphone 4 to tether personal hotspot to use my ipad when in car or outside. I have currently unlimited data on my att plan.

How do I enable personal hotspot.

Itwasntme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am, planning to get the ipad2. I am however, not sure which size to get. I will be playing a few games music probably 1-2gb. Movies is what is concerning me.

How do you owners of ipad and 1 and 2 16gb have expanded size. cloud service(dropbox).
Also, I am planning to get wi-fi only, i have an iphone 4 too. Now if i am travelling how can i remotely access videos on my computer through airvideo without 3g. Can I add personal hotspot to my iphone and get the wifi needed for my ipad to work when i am traveling or in the car.

Give me some ideas

I leave enough free space for 1 or 2 movies. Once I'm done viewing a movie, I delete it.

If a game is taking up a lot of space, I'll delete it after I've completed it. I keep my eyes out for updates to those games, and will re-add them to my iPad when new content is released.

I'll archive magazine issues that I've read.

I keep only the photos and background images I'm most fond of.

Music eats up a lot of space, so only a few favorite songs make it onto my iPad (60-70 or so).

If I find myself neglecting an app, be it productivity, entertainment, game, utility, news, etc, it gets removed from the iPad. I try to keep only the apps that I enjoy or need.

Unless you're constantly downloading new apps, managing space really isn't painful.

Last edited:

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32 GB iPad 2, but that's mainly because they didn't have any 16 GB versions on launch day. I like the extra elbow room, but I don't think it is needed. I mostly use the iPad at home, so with home sharing, I really only need space for apps.

I just keep my movies and music on my PC and use home sharing to play them through the iPad. Works out well using the iPad as a bridge to my HDTV. (I love the Digital AV Adapter, though with the Xbox 360 now supporting Hulu Plus, I don't use it as much as I did when i got it.)

Most reactions

Latest posts