What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16gb ipad users- how do you manage space

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on your usage. I don't store any music or video files on my ipad (because if never felt the need to). I use my mobile phone as music player and just stream videos.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am, planning to get the ipad2. I am however, not sure which size to get. I will be playing a few games music probably 1-2gb. Movies is what is concerning me.

How do you owners of ipad and 1 and 2 16gb have expanded size. cloud service(dropbox).
Also, I am planning to get wi-fi only, i have an iphone 4 too. Now if i am travelling how can i remotely access videos on my computer through airvideo without 3g. Can I add personal hotspot to my iphone and get the wifi needed for my ipad to work when i am traveling or in the car.

Give me some ideas

I jail broke my iPad so that is something to consider in this discussion. Since you are going with the iPad 2, you might not be able to do what I do until a JB arrives for your iPad. I bought the cheapest model, but I am old and still quite amazed that my Laptop has some 500 gigs of space, so 16 gB is more space than I really need.

As an aside, I downloaded a three gig plus Adobe software package and it took me a few moments to remember that a 3 gig install package will take up only a small percentage of my available drive space. You kids are accustomed to large drives but I remember when 4 Mb of memory and a 40 Mb HDD was amazing in a laptop that only cost three grand or perhaps it was four grand.

I love Drop Box. When I am researching something, I can copy and paste the info to a document stored on Drop Box and access the data anywhere I want to. Lately, I have simply saved the info to files on a 2 GB SD card, however. I still use it for non-critical work documents.

Anyway, I store some work documents on MicroSD cards and access them from my iPad. At any one time, I'll have less than 1 mB of data so a 2-GB SD card is vastly more space than I need. I am reminded of swapping floppy disks so I feel that I am working old school.

I store music files on other MicroSD cards and a few on a Flash drive. I do not care about a cool interface or player; I simply use iFile to find the music files I want to play on the SD card. Vivaldi is currently playing as I type. I'll bet there is a player from Cydia that works a little better. the point is, it works well for me.

One thing to consider is the AirStash drive. You have essentially unlimited storage and it is wireless; it connects to your iPad using WiFi and the cool thing is, the router is built-in. The drive places an icon on your iPad so your files are available and it streams music well.

Luck To You

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One hint: I found the space getting low and the space used by apps and music didn't seem right. I wiped and reloaded the iPad using iTunes and I gained over 4GB space. I've done this again recently with similar results. I noticed that when I delete songs, the free space doesn't always go up and when I update apps, the same thing sometimes happens.

OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I went to the apple sore this morning at 9am when they open but apparently the lines had already formed since 4 and everything except verizon sold out.

Any idea when this supply issue will resolve.

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have any trouble with storage on my 16g WiFi. I keep most of my items on my iPhone 4 or my iMac. I just put a movie on my iPad 2 if I want to watch it instead of on the TV or iMac. I keep my audio books on iPhone 4 also as I plug it in and listen to podcasts and books in the car. As Zig Ziglar calls it Automobile University. I just don't try to load everything on my iPad 2. Have DropBox, so everything works fine for me.:D

OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does movies on dropbox work on ipad. the other day i made a movie on imovies on my mac and saved it as .m4v. I cant seem to play it on my iphone3g.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have so much space and nothing to do with it! I guess the popular alternative is Dropbox for extra stuff.

Btw, this is my 900th post! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed by returning my 16GB and getting a 64GB model. :) I don't know what I was thinking, get a 16GB one. Now both my iPad 1 and 2 have 64GBs. I'd buy one with more GBs if they were available.

OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are the new shipments of ipad are free of light bleeding. Is this a new batch of production?

Most reactions