What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offline document management

jamietwemlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm beginning to worry about my sanity and hoping someone can help.

I travel a lot, (surely not unique for Ipad users) I have a 64gb Wifi IPad and spend time on trains, in cafe's, in my car, in service stations, etc - OFFLINE!

Quick Office seems to do everything I want for editing and managing docs but what happens when I am offline, I can't seem to find an answer to this. Ideally I would like to store files locally and then add them to dropbox when I get back online overwriting the old file, I would like to be able to save it locally to ensure I don't lose changes. Is this possible?

Any suggestions would be welcome...

variador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry, don't understand the problem. Quick office stores any file you import or look at till you throw it away. You can create folders to organize files. All of these files you have imported and looked at would be available offline.
The files I have in Quickoffice are available offline. Maybe you can be more specific about the files you cannot read offline.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand your problem.

I don't use Quick Office but use Office 2 HD. I can choose to save files offline and it works fine.

If I mark any file as favourite (using star icon) in Dropbox, it will be stored available offline as well.

OP
J

jamietwemlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great thanks both, thats all I need to know just couldn't find it actually said like that anywhere in the documentation or in other threads although I was sure it must be possible as standard.

I haven't downloaded QuickOffice yet as I didnt want to waste my money if I couldn't use it like this. I'll download it now.

Thanks for your replies to educate the Noob!

OP
J

jamietwemlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jweakley said:
I read your posts about Quickoffice, and I saw that you said that you were going to purchase it. So, how do you like it? I am trying to decide whether to get it.

JW

So far so good, I only downloaded it today and it seems to do what I need. It is a simple but feature rich app, I'll be using it to do my Uni work offline and integrates with dropbox very simply to manage on/off line versions which was my main requirement as I spend a lot of time offline. I mainly use the Word programme but the excel and PowerPoint apps seem to work well at a glance altho not properly tested.

To me it's worth £9 as I spend so much time offline and have deadlines I need to meet for Uni work but I can see it becoming increasingly useful for my job as well.

I found is article useful to compare the various options zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/ipad-office-app-showdown-four-apps-to-help-you-get-work-done/3445

Hope that helps

Most reactions

Latest posts