What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help how do you get back space?

celinedion1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after downloading a few game demos I noticed that my space was decreasing. So as a result I deleted some of the games i downloaded. However I didn't get the space back. So how do I get the space back after deleting some of the game demos?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after downloading a few game demos I noticed that my space was decreasing. So as a result I deleted some of the games i downloaded. However I didn't get the space back. So how do I get the space back after deleting some of the game demos?

Thanks

First of all -- I guess -- if you're not out of space, don't worry...

But, if you need to get the space back, you need to power recycle the iPad..I think - other Forum members - far more experienced than me, will be able to advise...but..for the time being...

Hold the 'Power' button down for a couple of seconds until the slider control appears, accept the 'offer' to shut down, let the iPad screen go *completely* blank, then press the Power button again to power up....

By the way, where did you get the 'space' information from? iTunes or the iPad?

Hope to hear from you again soon

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

celinedion1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks

First of all -- I guess -- if you're not out of space, don't worry...

But, if you need to get the space back, you need to power recycle the iPad..I think - other Forum members - far more experienced than me, will be able to advise...but..for the time being...

Hold the 'Power' button down for a couple of seconds until the slider control appears, accept the 'offer' to shut down, let the iPad screen go *completely* blank, then press the Power button again to power up....

By the way, where did you get the 'space' information from? iTunes or the iPad?

Hope to hear from you again soon

Tim
Scotland

thanks and I got it from my ipad. Typically it wouldnt bug me much but since im just testing out game demos and other apps I dont want my space to get wasted. There's a long list of stuff that I want to buy for my ipad but I dont want deleted demos to take away from that space. Thanks again Tim. I know this is kind of off topic but when you back up your ipad does disk space get taken up from that and is there a way to delete the old backups? Thanks again your very helpful.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - you have to sync your iPad to your PC for the app to disappear from the PC too. I don't think the PC keeps previous backups, so I don't think (but maybe someone will correct me) the older backups are taking any space.

On iTunes (on your PC) with the iPad connected, you can get a more detailed breakdown of what space is being used on your iPad. There are also some apps for the iPad that can give you a detailed breakdown of how much memory is being used and by what app.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
This sounds bizarre.

If you delete an app on the iPad, the space is freed up immediately, there is no need for syncing with iTunes.

Have you looked for free space under Settings->General->About->Available before and after deleting an app? The only way the free space wouldn't change is if the app is too small to be indicated, I.e. being less then 50MB.

Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Yes - you have to sync your iPad to your PC for the app to disappear from the PC too. I don't think the PC keeps previous backups, so I don't think (but maybe someone will correct me) the older backups are taking any space.

Tim
Scotland
iTunes never deletes apps not even if they were deleted from the iPad.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This sounds bizarre.

If you delete an app on the iPad, the space is freed up immediately, there is no need for syncing with iTunes.

Have you looked for free space under Settings->General->About->Available before and after deleting an app? The only way the free space wouldn't change is if the app is too small to be indicated, I.e. being less then 50MB.

Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland
iTunes never deletes apps not even if they were deleted from the iPad.

Many thanks - mia culpa!! I am demoted to sub-moderator again. It's becoming a frequent occurrence! :(

I appreciate you correcting me here - don't hesitate to do this!! I taught students for 40 years and they were always correcting me.....so I'm quite used to it!!

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Wisdom is the ability to know you may be wrong .
Humility is the ability to admit it.
Humble pie is a delicious dish

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

MisCris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked great! I went to Settings checked Available capacity, deleted a few apps and now I have more Available capacity. Thanx Tim from Scotland! :)

Last edited:

Most reactions