What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12/28v charging for ipad3

chris.suter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad3 that i use in aviation. I had an iPad2 which was stolen. With my old iPad i had a 12/28v cigarette lighter adapter that would keep it charged even when in use. It has a 1A and a 2.1A USB plug. The new iPad will not even charge when in use in the airplane, in the 2.1A connection.

Does anyone know how much power it takes to run a"3", and/or is there a 12/28v charger available, preferably with two connections, so i can charge other stuff as well? Thanks in advance for any help?

Chris

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The older iPads and iPhones used a 5 watt charger but the iPad 3 uses a 10 watt charger. If you pick up a new car charger for the new iPad 3 with 10 watt supply you can also use it for any older iPads or iPhones thou. If you leave the iPad 3 plugged into your old iPad 2 car charger it will show that it is not charging. It actually will charge from your old adapter but extremely slow (even thou it does not show as charging) and not at all if you are using the iPad 3 while trying to charge it as you could be draining the battery faster than the old 5 watt charger can charge it. The same goes with the USB on some computers as they do not have the 10 watt supply to feed the new iPad. Even thou your iPad will say it is not charging it is but just not at the full supply it requires.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPads have always used a 10W charger, from the very first generation.

Because the iPad 1 and 2 had smaller batteries, it was possible to charge (slowly) using an iPhone charger. The new iPad's batteries are larger and the power requirements are higher. If a charger was marginal before, it will probably not work now.

That said, the 2.1A USB port should work. I don't know why it isn't. The charger that comes with the 3rd gen iPad is a 5.1V 2.1A USB connector.

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about that. You are correct that the iPads all take 10 watt charger. This is my first iPad so all my old chargers were for iPhone and iPod that used 5 watt so I just took it for granted that the older iPads also used a 5 watt. Thanks for the clarification.

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You got that right!! Hope you have yourself a great weekend.

cruiserandmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With my old iPad i had a 12/28v cigarette lighter adapter that would keep it charged even when in use. It has a 1A and a 2.1A USB plug. The new iPad will not even charge when in use in the airplane, in the 2.1A connection.

the iPad 3 uses a 10 watt charger.

Assuming W = V x A, shouldn't 2.1A socket on the charger mentioned above be outputting about 25-50 watts depending on the input voltage (12-24V) ? That should be plenty for the ipad3. Is my basic understanding off? I think it mush be, because 50watts would be hot as hell, I think.. I dunno.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming W = V x A, shouldn't 2.1A socket on the charger mentioned above be outputting about 25-50 watts depending on the input voltage (12-24V) ? That should be plenty for the ipad3. Is my basic understanding off? I think it mush be, because 50watts would be hot as hell, I think.. I dunno.

The V in your formula is for the output of the charger not for the input. With V= 5V and A = 2.1A, W = 10.5W.

Most reactions

Latest posts