What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you say the ipad 2 is considered old inferior technology now?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 gens old, what you think? Lots of people selling theirs now I see. I did. Just a year ago when I bought it (dont forget its only been out for 1.5yrs), it was the latest and greatest. How did it get outdated so fast?

I sold my 1yr old 16GB wifi ipad 2 for $325 with the case (paid total $550 inc tax and case), you think I got a good return?

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you look at the specs of the hardware, it is, of course, inferior to what is being produced now. That's the nature of progress, especially in a fast moving environment such as electronics.

However, at the time of sale, the iPad 2 was cutting edge, and still performs more than adequately. In future, I may buy newer models, but I already have plans for my 2. I certainly wouldn't sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple must feel there's still a market for the iPad 2, as it's still in production to this day. I have no plans to sell my iPad 2, even though I've had an iPad 3 since March.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple has designed their iOS devices so thery run software that is written for it. Thus, the iPad 2 will run all iOS software written for the iPad. That is some 275,000+ apps, and it will run them well because only the correct assets will be used by those apps when running on iPad 2. This protects the device from being left behind by software designed to run on it. It also means developers can keep developing new apps to sell to you.

What you don't get with iPad 2 is things like better cameras, retina screen, 4g/LTE, Siri, etc. However, apart from that, the iPad 2 is still a great tablet and the user experience will not degrade. If you are someone who doesn't desire a retina screen or 4g/LTE, or better cameras, or lighter weight, you have absolutely no reason to feel left out or that you have to upgrade. If you are, then you can either keep the iPad 2 or sell it, or pass it along, and then go give apple some more of your money (like me). :)

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son would love a 2!
Lots of people don't find the 2 "inferior". It still is faster and has more computing power than my desktop. And I ain't CListing that anytime soon.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's older tech, but that doesn't matter if the user is happy with it. I'm hanging onto mine, even as I get and iPad 4. I'm still using my iPad 1 as well, lol.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 2 'inferior'?!?! When my baby saw that she jumped off my lap, twirled three times and casually and confidently said, "No way boss!". With mutual sighs we went about our business in mutual enjoyment.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While the iPad 2 may have been superseded by later developments, it still works as it did when released. As long as you don't demand or expect more than it's capable of providing, the use of older technology can be quite satisfying.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son bought me an iPad 2 less than 2 weeks ago, and I was ecstatic!!! I'm completely happy with it, as far as I'm concerned it's brand-new tech to me since I've never owned an iPad before this one. I use it more than my Nexus 7 (which has a higher resolution screen).

Otto8888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teralpar said:
My son bought me an iPad 2 less than 2 weeks ago, and I was ecstatic!!! I'm completely happy with it, as far as I'm concerned it's brand-new tech to me since I've never owned an iPad before this one. I use it more than my Nexus 7 (which has a higher resolution screen).

Well good if u like it

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF GC = o7708888

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well good if u like it

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF GC = o7708888

That is an important consideration. And I LIKE my iPad 2! 'LIKE' = love, enjoy, enamored with, satisfied, thrilled, hooked on, go-to-electronic-gadget, absolute favorite, gotta turn it on, makes me smile, got one for my wife.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teralpar said:

That's fantastic! Good on your son. I still have my iPad 2 and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts