What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wod files at easy access

Lar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new here - does anyone know of an app that allows easy catalogue access to, in this case, Word files? I am only first considering getting an IPAD. So, I need to know if it can do this one particular thing. Basically my desire is to replace a binder i use to reference and read song lyrics. Not quite karaoke - I just need the text in front of me. I need to be able to access the songs by alphabetical index easily. The first challenge will of course be getting my Word files on the IPAD. I want to be able to access any one of them by either choosing the file by icon or from a list or just like the binder, index 'tabs' to the starting letter, then choice by title or index.
Has anyone seen anything like this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages, Documents to Go, and QuickOffice are all apps you can use to read and edit Word .doc files. They all have various abilities. Pages is probably best for creating new documents. The other two are more compatible with Office and therefore better for passing documents back and forth several times. But they are all meant to edit files, and won't be ideal for viewing them clutter free.

GoodReader will allow you to download and view .doc files. It seems to do a pretty good job in my limited testing, and has a folder system that will let you keep them organized.

For more flexibility when reading the files on the iPad, I recommend you export you Word files as PDF files. That way you will have a multitude of readers, many with very good file systems to keep your files organized. GoodReader is popular, as is PDF Expert, and several others. Even some of the eBook readers will do a fine job of displaying PDF files.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should have added that GoodReader is also one of the most flexible apps for adding content, with USB, wireless, web, and cloud support options.

No matter what you end up wanting to do with your iPad, at some point GoodReader is almost always part of the solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts