1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Will the 3G of iPad2 from USA work in Europe out of the box?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by bat0nas, May 18, 2011.

1. bat0nas

bat0nas iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will the 3G of iPad2 from USA work in Europe out of the box?
    I'm talking about the AT&T model. I know they're all factory unlocked.

But I've noticed people discussing in forums that AT&T models need to be activated (somehow) in USA and them 3G will work with european SIM card.

Is that true? I ordered from USA but I can ask my friends in USA to unpack it and activate if needed.

But maybe it's not necessary and 3G will work on a new iPad2 from USA the same moment I will insert European SIM card (definitely not AT&T but local GSM provider)?

Thanks!!!
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    It is true that most Members who have purchased an iPad from the USA have activated the 3G there and we've had several reports from other members who didn't and who have subsequently had trouble. In fact, I've only seen one report - from a Russian member - who purchased an iPad in the US and claimed he was able to activate it when he got home without trouble.

You definitely run a risk if you decide not to activate it in the US first - it's probably worth signing up for the lowest cost PAYG AT&T plan and getting your friends to activate it first.

If your friends are personally transporting the iPad back to the UK for you, remind them to have the invoice ready for when they clear Customs as they enter the UK, as they'll have to pay Import Duty and VAT. If it's being sent by mail then, of course, the Customs and Immigration people will invoice you for the VAT and Import Duty before the package is delivered, so who ever is sending it to you needs to attach a copy of the invoice when they complete the Customs Declaration in the US.

Tim