What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will 16gb be enough for me?

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb black wi-fi on order--but after reading someone else's thread, I started to wonder if it's enough for what I want it for. Someone else had said they use theirs for reading and had to delete books to download more.

I plan on using my iPad for: (in no particular order)

iTunes collection - (it's not a huge collection by any means, 500ish songs at just under 4gb)
Games - I will probably download games that i'm guessing take a lot of memory? ram? idk. I'm looking at X-plane, driving, shooting, and random puzzle games
APPS APPS APPS - I dont have a smartphone so every app i need will have to fit on the iPad2. I just dont want to have to go deleting stuff in order to fit new apps. Is there a way i can find out the storage required for each individual app?
Web-Browsing - does having a ton of apps/games slow down internet load times? or are they independent of memory?

Ik there have been tons of threads like this, but i really appreciate the responses. Thanks
-

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
16 gb sounds enough. most space is usually taken up with video and megga huge album collections. (ie, a typical 2 hour movie might set you back 1.5 gb)

i personally think the more the better. at least 32. you'll regret it otherwise. you'll find you'll always fill it up with a lot more junk than you intend.

and no, space (or lack of it) makes ZERO deference to web browsing times.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you want to use it for would fit ok into 32 but expect 16 would be tight. Most apps and games are fairly small but videos run between 600mb to 1.5gb and if you're like me your photo albums grow rapidly. You have to be strong willed to stick within the 16gb :)

Don't worry about your load times as they won't be affected by the number of apps you have.

Reaction score
Hey,

I have an 8 GB iPhone 3G and I have never used up all of the GB's on it. Because of that I thought a 16GB iPad would be more than enough and I was going for the 16 GB. But then I started downloading stuff to put on my iPad so that I would have all the stuff organized and ready to be synced once I got the iPad. When I finished I had 18 GB of stuff (magazines, books, comic books, movies, apps) and that is not counting music and photos. So I decided I should go for the 32 GB and I've ordered a 32 GB and I'm really glad I did.

It really depends on what you want the iPad for, some apps take a whole lot of space, alot of good games take up to 400 MB or more. Also, if you are considering buying interactive magazines like Wired or Project each issue takes around 400 to 500 MB.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yikes--that's a lot to consider. Thanks for all the opinions. I may cancel my order and upgrade to a 32gb. i guess that's more wait time for me...

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the 32gb is optimal, but you have to also consider if you have an iPhone, then you will likely use it differently than your iPad..

Myself, for instance, I have no music on my iPad, because I have almost 12 gigs of music on my iPhone...

I bought the 32gb iPad 2, and it's already filled with almost 20gb's of video, photos, apps, and other stuff... I figured if I put music on my iPad, it would just be a waste of space because I'm never realistically going to listen to music on my iPad itself.. I would likely always be using my iPhone to listen to music (in places like the gym, or while running outside).. and I'd likely be wearing headphones while doing so...

or, i'd be streaming my iTunes library directly to my television or home theater system through my AppleTV, so I figured I would utilize the space on the iPad for something more relevant to the iPad, like video and photographs instead of music...

MerkinMuffley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I buy a device that I can't add memory too (Ipad, Airbook) I buy it with the maximum. Spaces around me seem to attract clutter, and e-storage is no exception - it eventually fills up.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep roughly 500 -700 songs on my 16g. Couple of Movies, 10-15 apps and pictures and still have over 5g left. It really depends, do you want to sync/update your iPad daily/weekly, or have everything there and not worry about it. Is the extra $100 or so worth it to you? Everyone uses these differently, I would say if you have the $100 extra in budget, go for it. If your budget is tight, 16g will work, you just have to "clean house" a little more often.

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree with the above comment. since I bought a PogoPlug. I dont have to worry about the size of my devices. I ordered the 16gb iPad. I can stream my movie and music through my pogoplug remotely. Plus having 2 iPhone that I carry for work an personal i wouldn't need to put music on the pad. The PogoPlug is a pretty cool item.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

Last edited:

Malko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For my point of view, 32Gbyte is a minimum for an iPad. Mine is a 64Gbyte and more than half are used. I've many apps and also some movies.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep roughly 500 -700 songs on my 16g. Couple of Movies, 10-15 apps and pictures and still have over 5g left. It really depends, do you want to sync/update your iPad daily/weekly, or have everything there and not worry about it. Is the extra $100 or so worth it to you? Everyone uses these differently, I would say if you have the $100 extra in budget, go for it. If your budget is tight, 16g will work, you just have to "clean house" a little more often.

I agree with this.. he's spot on.. if you're a tidy type and don't need EVERYTHING at your disposal, 16gb will be more than enough...

Malko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silent Assassin said:
I agree with this.. he's spot on.. if you're a tidy type and don't need EVERYTHING at your disposal, 16gb will be more than enough...

OK. But don't forget that it is not possible to upgrade your iDevice. So, think to it before...

MerkinMuffley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On mine I've got about 1300 ITunes, 200 books from my 1000 book library in the Kindle app, 150 books in IBooks, 6 movies and about 125 photographs.
I've got 45gb free.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Broseph said:
I have a 16gb black wi-fi on order--but after reading someone else's thread, I started to wonder if it's enough for what I want it for. Someone else had said they use theirs for reading and had to delete books to download more.

I plan on using my iPad for: (in no particular order)

iTunes collection - (it's not a huge collection by any means, 500ish songs at just under 4gb)
Games - I will probably download games that i'm guessing take a lot of memory? ram? idk. I'm looking at X-plane, driving, shooting, and random puzzle games
APPS APPS APPS - I dont have a smartphone so every app i need will have to fit on the iPad2. I just dont want to have to go deleting stuff in order to fit new apps. Is there a way i can find out the storage required for each individual app?
Web-Browsing - does having a ton of apps/games slow down internet load times? or are they independent of memory?

Ik there have been tons of threads like this, but i really appreciate the responses. Thanks
-

If you have to ask yourself "Is 16GB enough for me?" you're already behind the 8-ball. Go for 32. I'd rather have too much space left over than too little to work with.

My $0.08 (2 cents, adjusted for inflation) worth.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought 16 gigs would be enough for me. I had the original ipad in 16g trim and didn't fill it up. I don't sync any music to it because I have my iphone 4 with 32 gigs of space for that. I stream everything, space wasn't a worry.

Now that I've actually been using my ipad2... I'm thinking about going bigger. I still have a lot of free space, but iMovie is going to be a hog. I like playing around and editing some of the videos I shoot (complete noob to video editing, only took one class in high school on it and forgotten most of it and the rest doesn't apply to the ipad) and I filled my iphone 4 up with footage already. Keep in mind you have to sync whatever music, sound effects, video that you want to edit... space starts to fill up. I for sure want either a 32 or a 64, probably 64.

Most reactions

Latest posts