Is 16gb enough?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by southskier, Mar 19, 2010.

1. nicled

nicled
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

2. daltonbaker

daltonbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I personnally Considering iPad Wi-Fi 16Gb isn't large enough.Throw a bunch of HQ movies on there, a decent music collection, plus photos and apps, and you're full. Esp for travel (unless you also plan to take a computer), you're better off spending and extra $100 for 32GB, Usable space on the 64 is really about 60GB. Note there are some HD apps that are in the hundreds of megs.

3. ipad987

ipad987
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It would depend entirely on what type of user you are. I have about 5 films, about 10 Simpsons episodes, 3 games and about 5 apps and already the 16gb is full. I personally think Apple is being a bit stingy with storage and the base model should be 32 gb at the price point of the current 16gb model.

4. RAC

RAC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have a 16 GB WiFi with lots of Apps installed. It still has lots of room for photos and I use a portable WiFi hotspot when I need to.

5. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    16GB has been fine for us so far, same size for our iPhones.

I really don't understand some peoples requirement to have every song\video they own with them at all times. Unless you travel excessively, and don't have access to your computer for a week at a time.

If you are on the same network as your computer, you can use Air Video...stream any video on your computer to your iPad and live convert on the fly. If you have WiFi or 3G access, you can access media stored on Dropbox (2GB) or Box.net (50GB)

Everyone signed up for the FREE 50GB of storage offer Box.net just had for iOS devices, right? (100mb file size limits)

6. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    As others have eluded to, if you use a little common sense and do some regular housekeeping on the device, you shouldnt run out of memory. I see no reason to store multiple movies/videos. Just stream them with netflix/Hulu/whatever and there is no space used. You can keep a lot of songs on the unit before worrying about space. I personally went with the 32GB unit but a 16GB model probably would have worked out fine.

I think the 32GB is the best of both worlds - its a $100++ bucks cheaper than the 64GB but it has double the space of the 16GB miodel.

7. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I am constantly getting these things for my Wife and I, so always buying in 2's....I would have gotten the 32gb one if it was just me. But 1100$ worth of iPad's is cheaper than 1300$ :)

8. ipad987

ipad987
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    There are always a few movies/TV programmes (all-time personal favourites) that some people will want to store on the iPad itself, likewise with games. The iPad library looks good if it contains a few titles. Some people watch their all-time favourites several times a year, so rather than renting it each time from the likes of Netflix, why not buy and store it? However, I think people should just use something like AirVideo if they have a very extensive library of films/shows and only keep ones they will most like to watch in the near future, in which case 16gb will probably suffice.

9. y2kgtp

y2kgtp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget Crackle. A few decent movies there as well.

10. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you've got the budget and you're a storage hound, go BIG. I did with no regrets.
    AA