Wifi range

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by donka, Mar 17, 2011.

1. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that link - very interesting to see the differences between the CDMA and UMTS models.

Tim
    Scotland

3. Viper272

Viper272
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes I have. That was the first thing I noticed the first time I turned on my ipad2. It was right beside my ipad1 and it showed one bar less than ipad1. And it does so all over the house...

Guess they changed the antenna. Both are runninh iOS 4.3.1

Knut

4. Kaibuc

Kaibuc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It is True. The Signale strenght is significantly lower on Ipad 2 then on Ipad1 and IPhone 4.

By placing the three, in the same room next to each other, and seeing the signal strenght in the system Info web interface on a Buffalo DD-WRT Router. The strenghts are as follows
    Ipad1 45 %
    Ipad2 34%
    Iphone 4 42%

5. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    You cannot trust the built in signal meters to give you actual measurements of signal strength. They are guidelines only.

6. svmerlin

svmerlin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    That is only half of it. The router determines how much signal strength there is where the iPad is located. The iPad antenna and receiver determine how much signal gets into the iPad.

Think of it like at a concert. The orchestra puts lots of sound where you are, but put in good earplugs and not much gets to your brain.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I have iPad 1 and 2, and we have two separate wifi networks set up in our primary home. My experience with wifi range between the two iPads has been consistent. That's also been true with the single wifi network that we have set up at a vacation home.

Every once in awhile, one fewer bar might display on one of my iPads over another, but that's not a reliable indicator.

8. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd have to agree with you. I don't think that it is just the modem/ router that can be the sole issue. Prior to having an ipad2, I had an acer iconia tab which failed to connect in my great room which was 2 floors below. Finally returned that and replaced it with the ipad2. Wifi connection significantly better, actually excellent. No change to the modem, router, interior of the home to contribute to that change.

For me it was a change in device brand vs a change in the router.

9. HowBoutThemPack

HowBoutThemPack
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so outside of changing my router, which is fairly new anyway, are there any other remedies for this? Any tweaks for a jailbroken iPad 2?

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

10. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not familiar with the tweaks for a jailbroken iPad. Mine is a stock iPad. I saw another post that you started regarding your wifi connection. I am not sure if mine has ever achieved and/or maintained 100% connection. For me, there are a lot of interior home factors which help to drop the signal intensity. Even more so when paired with a mobile device with reported wifi antenna issues.

Personally, I did not have to replace my router or modem. It was simply replacing the droid tablet to the ipad which worked for me.

Though, I have never experienced my wifi drop completely with my ipad. Have you?