What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn't ipad2 support html 5?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which program were you watching?
Perhaps if you looked up "fox mobile media" in the app store....you might find what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that no flash on an iPad will eventually be forgotten. I've noticed more and more sites changing over time to HTML and therefore my iPad works. And if a site doesn't work on the iPad they usually have an app for that.

sent from iPad

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was trying to watch Glee which has 5 episodes available at any given time.

Batpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gdg said:
If HTML 5 is flash that would explain it. What a PITA!!!!

HTML5 isn't flash. It is an alternative to and one that apple prefers. The website your trying to view and is probably using flash which isn't supported on iOS devices

Sent from my iPad using iPF - The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok, let me take a wild guess as to where this is coming from.

Some of the online TV sites do indeed support HTML5, and the iPad also supports HTML5

When I go the Fox website and attempt to watch a show that they are streaming I get a message telling me that my mobile device (iPad2) doesn't support HTML 5. I doubt they'd flat out lie about this.

Ah, well you said 'player' before, which is more open to interpretation. Chances are they just don't recognize the browser ID then. Because the iPad most definitely does support HTML5.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok, let me take a wild guess as to where this is coming from.

Some of the online TV sites do indeed support HTML5, and the iPad also supports HTML5

When I go the Fox website and attempt to watch a show that they are streaming I get a message telling me that my mobile device (iPad2) doesn't support HTML 5. I doubt they'd flat out lie about this.

Ah, well you said 'player' before, which is more open to interpretation. Chances are they just don't recognize the browser ID then. Because the iPad most definitely does support HTML5.

I just went to the Fox.com site, and it definitely says 'player', not 'mobile device.' They are referring to the software on the site, not the iPad. They do not deliver HTML5.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Netflix? Hulu plus+?

Or perhaps once jailbreak comes out for iPad2.....check out "glee mobile" from cydia. Allows you to stream/download episodes for freeeeeeee.

Last edited:
OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I just went to the Fox.com site, and it definitely says 'player', not 'mobile device.' They are referring to the software on the site, not the iPad. They do not deliver HTML5.

Thanx, that explains it.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Uhhmmmm...have you checked the tv section of the iTunes store on your iPad?...you can download/watch them there as well.

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$4 for a 40 minute TV episode...you've got to be kidding! I don't mind paying for media but if Apple is going to gouge me then F_ _ _ em. I'll down load a torrent before I go along with getting flat out ripped off.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Then the only thing I can suggest is either wait for jb and download the glee app I mentioned above from cydia or buy splashtop from app store and stream them from pc to iPad for a smoother viewing experience.

Last edited:
OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Netflix? Hulu plus+?

Or perhaps once jailbreak comes out for iPad2.....check out "glee mobile" from cydia. Allows you to stream/download episodes for freeeeeeee.

That would be great except I can't find an app called glee mobile or anything from cydia.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cydia is the jailbreaker's app store. You won't find it in Apple's store, and there isn't any reason to try to go to Cydia until you've jailbroken the iPad. And the iPad 2 still can't be jailbroken (at least not by any reliable means), so it's a waiting game for now.

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is new to me...

I gather this has been discussed to death but the concept of jailbreaking an ipad is new to me. I knew that people jailbroke their iPhones but I thought that was so they could use them in other countries when they traveled. I also was under the impression that one could never update a jailbroken iPhone so I ended up getting an unlocked one myself. As for the iPad I have a Canadian iPad2 which means I can use any carrier I like, anywhere in the world. Wouldn't jailbreaking an iPad compromise both it's future functionality (in terms of updates) and reduce it's resale value?:confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts