What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn't ipad2 support html 5?

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HTML 5 is the standard for some on line TV and not only doesn't iPad 2 support this but there aren't any apps either. What gives?

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If HTML 5 is flash that would explain it. What a PITA!!!!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HTML5 isn't flash, HTML5 is the currently proposed collection of standards for the web which includes video standards. Flash, to the best of my knowledge, is not included within these proposed standards........however, HTML5 is in the wild and the video standards within it are definitely supported.......flash isn't.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
HTML 5 is the standard for some on line TV and not only doesn't iPad 2 support this but there aren't any apps either. What gives?

Ok, let me take a wild guess as to where this is coming from.

Some of the online TV sites do indeed support HTML5, and the iPad also supports HTML5, so you'd think they'd work just hunky-dory. But, there are licensing issues with some TV shows and movies, so a lot of these sites block mobile browsers from using their web pages. Instead they (some of they) offer apps that limit you to the shows that they have licensed for mobile distribution.

This is why Hulu's content is restricted on the iPad, and I imagine many other sites. As usual, the media industry is very coy when it comes to making their stuff available on the internet. They want the most money for the least risk of piracy. Some of them are frankly so scared of the internet that they jump a mile straight up whenever someone suggests even the slightest new twist to distribution.

We'll just have to wait for them to land, pat them on the head, and hand them a few gallons of Pepto-Bismol; then things can continue on their inevitable way.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I always thought HTML was flash or at least the same thing.:confused:

HTML, is the language used to write the web. It's in every webpage. At it's most basic it is just a bunch of tags, similar to the ones we use on the forum to make quotes, bold, etc. Some of the tags are even the same, expect they are surrounded by <> instead of [].

The HTML standards are a bit more than that. They specify what protocols, codecs, and much more that browsers and web pages should use to stay compatible.

The original HTML did little more than make it possible to create links, create tables, and emphasize text in various ways. The currently being developed HTML 5 includes standards for video, animation, and other exotic stuff.

Flash, Silverlight, Quicktime, and other plug in technologies were developed to overcome the limitations of the older HTML standards. HTML 5's goal is to get rid of the need for this type of proprietary technology and get the standard back into the standards.

Lecture over. :D

Keytapper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
HTML, is the language used to write the web. It's in every webpage. At it's most basic it is just a bunch of tags, similar to the ones we use on the forum to make quotes, bold, etc. Some of the tags are even the same, expect they are surrounded by <> instead of [].

The HTML standards are a bit more than that. They specify what protocols, codecs, and much more that browsers and web pages should use to stay compatible.

The original HTML did little more than make it possible to create links, create tables, and emphasize text in various ways. The currently being developed HTML 5 includes standards for video, animation, and other exotic stuff.

Flash, Silverlight, Quicktime, and other plug in technologies were developed to overcome the limitations of the older HTML standards. HTML 5's goal is to get rid of the need for this type of proprietary technology and get the standard back into the standards.

Very nice explanation, thanks for that.

Vigor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always thought HTML was flash or at least the same thing.:confused:

OK we are now know about it, so a proposal support for iPad means we still can't enjoy it at least this version!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK we are now know about it, so a proposal support for iPad means we still can't enjoy it at least this version!

Like every other HTML standard before it, much of it is already being implemented. No one actually waits for the standards committee to finish. Half the time they just end up okaying what did happen while they were debating what should happen.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a dyed in the wool PC guy but if you want to B&M about Flash, Google up this topic (this excerpt from Endgadget, but it's all over the web):

Adobe dominates Kaspersky Lab's top ten PC vulnerabilities list
By Christopher Trout posted May 19th 2011 9:19PM
Being number one is usually an honor, but not when it comes to Kaspersky Lab's top ten PC vulnerabilities list. Unfortunately for the software giant, Adobe took top dishonors for Q1 this year, pulling in five total spots on the list, including the top three. According to the security firm, all of the vulnerabilities appearing on the list allowed cyber-criminals to control computers at the system level. The number one spot was occupied by a vulnerability in Adobe Reader that was reportedly detected on 40 percent of machines running the application, while Flash Player flaws took second and third. Other dishonorees included the Java Virtual Machine, coming in at fourth and fifth place, Apple QuickTime, Winamp, and Microsoft Office. That ain't bad, considering Microsoft ruled the vulnerabilities roost in 2010.

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Some of the online TV sites do indeed support HTML5, and the iPad also supports HTML5

When I go to Fox and attempt to watch show that they are streaming I get a message on my iPad that "this mobile device does not support HTML 5". I doubt they would flat out lie about this.

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Some of the online TV sites do indeed support HTML5, and the iPad also supports HTML5

When I go the Fox website and attempt to watch a show that they are streaming I get a message telling me that my mobile device (iPad2) doesn't support HTML 5. I doubt they'd flat out lie about this.

Most reactions

Latest posts