What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one to buy and app query

kittie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
I am going to be treating myself to an ipad shortly and want to know a couple of things. One of the things I would like to use it for is to record conversations in order to take minutes for meetings.I know I can download an app for it and i know i need to use wifi for that, but would I need to be connected to the net in order to use it after that? I don't know whether to invest in a 3g one and understand what that is all about but if I do, and begin a rolling contract of some sort, would I just be able to cancel it and just use the wifi option if I found I wasn't using it much? Hope these are not daft questions as i really am a novice here - thanks in advance.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't see why you need wifi to make a recording. Obviously, you need it to get the app to your ipad (well, you actually don't since you can buy it in the App store and download it to iTunes on your PC and then sync over to your iPad via a cable). If you don't need or plan to use cellular, then get the wifi version. Just remember that the gps chip comes with the cellular model only, so if you want to ever use your iPad for Navigation you will have to buy a separate gps receiver. if you get the cellular version you don't need a seperate gps receiver because one will be inside the iPad.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Hi kittie,
there are lots of Appsoffering recording as you require it. None of the ones I know needs actual connection to the Internet.
I own a Wifi model, didn't get the 3G model in order to save some money - as I can tether my iPhone I have connectivity whenever I need it, however I am cuffed to my iPhone provider.
If I would buy another one I would consider the cellular model - but that's for me... Especially when you have Wifi connectivity at work, and unless you want to use the GPS module as AQ_OC wrote, you could very well go for the WiFi model.

OP
K

kittie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. As you will have guessed I am a real novice when it comes to all this but I do try and get my head round it! That's good to know about the recording as that will give me some flexibility. This tethering business - I understand what it means (I think!) - I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace smartphone and do use the wifi option on it - how can I work out whether I can use that to tether my ipad. I ask because if I am going to get one at all I would like to have as much flexibility as possible, even if it costs me a little more. I know the actual cost is more but there are some relatively cheap sim only contracts out there. Of course if I can use my phone to do the same thing that would be even better! Thanks for being patient with me. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts