When should i recharge

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Khanandranii, Jan 3, 2011.

1. wrecklass

wrecklass
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I think this is debated mostly by folks who don't know the science involved, kinda like global warming ;)

The answer is that these types of batteries give best performance from 25% to 75% of charge. So the answer is to charge when it is convenient and the battery drops to 50% or less. Charge fully and repeat. Topping off on a nightly basis works, but is unnecessary unless you regularly get past 50% everyday.

2. maryinredding

maryinredding
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Mine stays on the keyboard/charger when it's not with me. I have only gotten it down to 65% before recharging.

#12 maryinredding, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. Khanandranii

Khanandranii
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I got much clearer answers this time.
    I think i will just top it up when its suits me and once a month let run untill it shuts down and recharge it completely.

4. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This is still such a debate also because a LOT of people still remember nicad batteries which would become useless if you topped it off every night. Li-ION batteries do a MUCH better job with not having 'memory'. the user manual says to drain it once a month to make sure that it can calibrate the reading correctly, so they dont get ANOTHER class action lawsuit from people saying their ipad died at 5% and because of that their dog broke their leg lol

So yes, as stated by a few earlier, just recharge when you feel like recharging. if its at 88% and you feel youre gonna use it all day saturday, charge it. if its at 20% an you wont use it for a couple days, you dont need to. (although I cant go that long without it :p)

Battery tech has come quite a ways recently, although I know it's development is falling severely behind the demand with advances in pretty much every other part in the mobile industry, but it has.

Good luck with your ipad, and use it how you want to, its your friend :) lol

5. Simon1234

Simon1234
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    How about charging when using? In theory battery could work longer I think due to reduce in number of cycle