What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When should i recharge

Khanandranii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before but it is very hard to get a straight answer. there are many heated debates going on about this issue.

From what i have gathered i should discarge the battery down to 0% once a month and then recharge it to 100% this is to recalibrate the meter.

Can i get an A or B answer.

(A) recharge it after it is flat.

(B) top it up.

If b at what point should i top it up or does it not realy matter.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't think you can get to %0 on the iPAD . It can damage the battery.
Anything from 10% to 99% left and starting to charge is fine.
A full cycle is the accumulation of 100% charge.
1000 cycles will keep you iPAD for quite a few years.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. It can damage the battery.

From what I have learned here ~ this is not true. It is best to drain your battery completely once a month. :)

The user manual will tell you just that ~ as will some of the most trusted members of this forum.

Last edited:
OP
K

Khanandranii

iPF Noob
Reaction score

From what I have learned here ~ this is not true. It is best to drain your battery completely once a month. :)

The user manual will tell you just that ~ as will some of the most trusted members of this forum.

So apart from discharging completey once a month, its ok just to top it up whenever?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

So apart from discharging completey once a month, its ok just to top it up whenever?

Correct. At least IME, this is what I do, yes. And my iPad is just fine!

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technically you can't drain the battery down to 0%, the iPad will shut off to protect the battery and your data, if it didn't you would lose all data. It probably shuts off somewhere between 10% to 15% of actual battery remaining.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technically you can't drain the battery down to 0%, the iPad will shut off to protect the battery and your data, if it didn't you would lose all data. It probably shuts off somewhere between 10% to 15% of actual battery remaining.

Mine shuts off at 2%. Once a month.:D

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine shuts off at 2%. Once a month.:D

Thanks. I suspected that it is between 2%-5% .
Now thanks to you we know the final answer.

And by the way:
If it gets to 0% it may kill the Battery, because of the type of Chemistry that is used for it's construction

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here we go again! LOL

Khanandranii --- The reason there is not clear answer is the topic of battery performance, maintenance, and life will always be a matter of debate. I find this true in all forums ipad, computers, phones, etc. It just is... so asking for an A or B answer is still not going to come up with a definite answer. People will ignore the choice.

My advice: do what feels right for you and be happy with your choice. That's how I approach situations like this where there are too many sides of the fence.

Maybe a better approach would be a poll post as to who discharges all the way once a month and who tops off continually..

Personally, I discharge all the way (2% or whenever it forces off) by accident... LOL otherwise I just plug it in every night.. I'm usually down in the 20% range by then anyway.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is debated mostly by folks who don't know the science involved, kinda like global warming ;)

The answer is that these types of batteries give best performance from 25% to 75% of charge. So the answer is to charge when it is convenient and the battery drops to 50% or less. Charge fully and repeat. Topping off on a nightly basis works, but is unnecessary unless you regularly get past 50% everyday.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine stays on the keyboard/charger when it's not with me. I have only gotten it down to 65% before recharging.

Last edited:
OP
K

Khanandranii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I got much clearer answers this time.
I think i will just top it up when its suits me and once a month let run untill it shuts down and recharge it completely.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is still such a debate also because a LOT of people still remember nicad batteries which would become useless if you topped it off every night. Li-ION batteries do a MUCH better job with not having 'memory'. the user manual says to drain it once a month to make sure that it can calibrate the reading correctly, so they dont get ANOTHER class action lawsuit from people saying their ipad died at 5% and because of that their dog broke their leg lol

So yes, as stated by a few earlier, just recharge when you feel like recharging. if its at 88% and you feel youre gonna use it all day saturday, charge it. if its at 20% an you wont use it for a couple days, you dont need to. (although I cant go that long without it :p)

Battery tech has come quite a ways recently, although I know it's development is falling severely behind the demand with advances in pretty much every other part in the mobile industry, but it has.

Good luck with your ipad, and use it how you want to, its your friend :) lol

Simon1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about charging when using? In theory battery could work longer I think due to reduce in number of cycle

Most reactions

Latest posts