What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery-when to charge?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Periodically calibrate your battery.
Most batteries that have a “fuel gauge”, like those in laptops, should be periodically discharged to zero. This can be accomplished simply by letting your computer run until it reports a low-battery state and suspends itself. (Do not let your computer deep discharge, as I’ll explain in the next item.)
The gauge that measures the remaining power in your laptop is based on circuitry integrated into the battery that approximates the effectiveness of the battery’s chemical compounds. Over time, a discrepancy can develop between the capacity that the internal circuitry expects the battery to have and what the battery can actually provide. Letting your computer run down to zero every month or so can recalibrate the battery’s circuitry, and keep your computer’s estimates of its remaining life accurate.
Again, contrary to what you said. Different source.

And again, another source:

Charge often - Older electronic devices commonly used Ni-Cd batteries which benefited from deep cycling - allowing the battery to fully drain before recharging. Li-ion batteries on the other hand benefit from being charged often and early on in a fresh cycle. What this means is that a li-ion battery should be charged well before it is fully drained; think about when you plug your cell phone in to charge at night. You don't need to wait until the battery is running low to recharge it if it is a Li-ion battery.

Re-calibration - The exception to the above rule about charging is that about every 30th recharge or so, you should allow the battery to be nearly drained before recharging. This helps to re-calibrate the external battery meter on your electronic device. Your cell phone, laptop, or other device displays the amount of battery life left on it's display usually. Re-calibration ensures that your electronic device is giving you an accurate reflection of the actual battery life left since the last recharge.
And again, another source:

Fully charging and discharging actually taxes your battery more than if you charged it before full discharge. There is still room for full discharge before charging, though. If you do it once every 30 charges or so, you’ll not only keep your battery running longer, but you’ll keep your battery gauge properly calibrated. This is important, since an improperly calibrated battery gauge can lead to your phone being shut off while there is still actually a charge in the battery.
Should I keep going?

As for the charging, when has your iPad ever gotten particularly hot when leaving in plugged in? Mine shows absolutely no difference in heat whatsoever when plugged in. THAT is the danger of plugging it in over night, because exposure to heat shortens battery life...

Last edited:

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, contrary to what you said. Different source.

As for the charging, when has your iPad ever gotten particularly hot when leaving in plugged in? Mine shows absolutely no difference in heat whatsoever when plugged in.
??? Nothing that you have posted is contrary to what I said. Nor did I ever claim that ipad's heat up by leaving them plugged in overnight...

If you're claiming that ipads are happier with once/month full discharges, fine, I don't dispute that. But if you're claiming that ALL devices benefit from that, or that ipad's can be deep discharged daily without consequence, then that *is* contrary to what I said...

Here, from your own quote: "What this means is that a li-ion battery should be charged well before it is fully drained; think about when you plug your cell phone in to charge at night."...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Are we not talking about the iPad on this forum?

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Are we not talking about the iPad on this forum?
Of course we are... is batteryuniversity.com an iPad-specific source?

I don't really know what the apparent disagreement is anymore...

- Apple says to deep discharge once/month (probably to recal the gauge).
- Frequent deep discharges are to be avoided.

ok?

Last edited:

nbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you ladies want to get a room?

For what it's worth, I do the same as I do with my mobile phone and asus web book - run it down to zero then charge it.

Photo1017

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
wjd333.smugmug.com
The battery university is an excellent resource! The information presented is accurate and complete, though the science interspersed may bore the average consumer.
The magic wrapped up in those little cases is quite complex, but simple rules do apply:

Read and follow manufacturers instructions they are more than likely to be correct!

Most reactions

Latest posts