What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Battery Health - How to Evaluate?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Moments ago, I was on the MacForums and responded to a thread w/ the question below in italics - I thought that re-quoting my post here might be useful to our members - Dave :)

Question - Hello. How does one recalibrate an iPad battery? Curious if this might improve performance on our old iPad.

Hi - iPad batteries have built-in monitoring technology that tracks their health and charge percentage - about once a month the battery charge should be exhausted to less that 10% and then the battery recharged completely - this maneuver will maintain the monitoring features of the battery and more accurately report the correct measurements - more information HERE, if interested.

Battery Health relates to the charge a battery can hold at full charge compared to its rating when new, i.e. a percentage - Apple claims that their batteries should maintain 80% health after 500-1000 charging cycles (less for the iDevices vs. Mac computers) - NOW, a cycle is equal to a complete discharge-recharge event, so for example recharging a battery after only 20% discharges would take 5 events to equal a full cycle.

SO, to asses the 'condition' of your iPad battery, you need to know its number of cycles and the battery health - this requires the use of an app or two to provide these figures - for myself, I use two: 1) Battery Health, an app on my iPad (check the App store) - below is a screen capture from my 1.5 y/o iPad Air 2 showing what this app is reporting on my battery, i.e. 87% battery health (simply the percentage of the top two numbers) and 243 cycles (which is half way around that circle - I suspect that at 500 cycles the battery will have 80% or less of health left); and 2) Coconut Battery - this is an app on my MBPro - when I plug in my iPad, the battery status can be assessed - see the second screen capture below; the 'battery health' is reported at 89% w/ 243 charge cycles (pretty much similar to the iPad app).

Thus, since you've not given us much information on your iPad (e.g. which model, age, recharging history, etc.), then impossible to answer your question above - obtain one or both of these apps and repost here what health is reported and how many charge cycles the battery has seen - hopefully, I've given you enough information to understand the issues involved. Dave :)
IMG_5211.PNG
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 11.30.46 PM.png

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave, somewhat off topic but I notice the battery health app is no longer available, at least on the Australian store, pity, it is a great app.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, somewhat off topic but I notice the battery health app is no longer available, at least on the Australian store, pity, it is a great app.

Hi Alexm. - just checked the USA App Store and no longer see the app - there are many others, but whether 'battery health relative to the % discussed above and the cycles used' may not be an available feature; e.g. I have two other 'battery apps' and neither report these statistics.

The current version is 2.3 and the 'Support' option opens an email where the developer is described but an URL is not given (so leaving the description would be of little help to others) - for those looking for a similar app, all that I can suggest is pursuing those that are available and looking at the features offered, and possibly contacting the developer w/ questions. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts