What size iPad did you buy? And how much space are you using?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ICONYK, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Zardoz

Zardoz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have a 16GB I use the iPad mostly for web and Internet and less for multi media I am using about 5GB right now as I did but a full copy of avatar on it, so I am not real hungry for space ...

2. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I've got a 16GB, and will use all of it on international flights, when I will pre-load it with several different movies and/or tv shows

3. brhon

brhon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I bought a 32gb, and have used only 12gb so far. I was very concerned about space, but not anymore. I am looking forward to a more streamlined way of saving files to MobileMe when the new OS hits this fall-hopefully that will happen.

4. lowlife

lowlife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I say the bigger the better. If the Ipad had an SD card or such then it would not matter. This is a new type of product and many people have 5+ gb of space already used up. What will happen in a year? The other solutions such as Airstash will probably work but I argue that they present additional battery management and extra item to carry issues.

I had the same concern that you did and started out the 16gb. I then did some stupid math

499 / 16 = 31.19 Per GB
    599 / 32 = 18 .72 Per GB
    699 / 64 = 10.92 Per GB
    629 / 16 = 39.31 Per GB
    729 / 32 = 22.78 Per GB
    829 / 64 = 12.95 Per GB
    Its sort of like buying a house. You can add rooms or move walls if you don't like they way they are, but you can't change the location of the property if the neighborhood sucks.

5. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I have a 64GB model and I have about 40GB left. Unless it's a money issue it seems like that is the best one to get...$200 more for 4x more storage is a no-brainer.

6. ICONYK

ICONYK
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone. Extremely helpful!

My final decision is the 32 based on the replies here. Price for me is an issue. I have 700 budget and I want to grab a couple of the accessories plus a case.

The biggest thing for me is that I will probably not store a lot on it on a daily basis other than music and apps. Only when traveling and such would I load it with movies and such.

I wish I could afford the 64 for future growth but sadly sometimes getting that 100 more is tougher than getting the 600. lol

Thanks again!

#16 ICONYK, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  7. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I had to decide how much to push my wife's patience. It was either the 64GB or 3G, so I got 32GB & 3G.

8. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have 64 gig and have 30 something gigs free. But I'm sure it will be less than that when I sync more movies from my collection for my upcoming trip.

9. Neopad

Neopad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Airstash seems interesting. Says charge by usb port of computer. Can it be charged using usb power adaptor. Trying not to travel with pc only ipad.

10. iBean

iBean
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm still waiting for the 3G to come out, but I expect that I will keep my music on my iTouch and maybe a book or 2, as It is pretty easy to pop out of its case on my belt or purse strap, for a quick read of a few pages. I think the iPad will be mostly for internet browsing and email and a movie or 2 when traveling. I must admit, I'm uncomfortable sticking my ear phones in on a driving trip with my husband. It's hard to visit and talk when I'm listening to a book or music. So I usually only do that when I'm driving alone or leaning back for a nap. If I was a kid, I think it would be easier to do, just to tune out of the interaction in the car. But then, maybe kids are better at audio multi-tasking than I am!:p