What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size should I get? 16GB, 32 GB, 64GB

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a 32 GB with 3G on pre-order, but I am wondering if I should up grade to the 64GB.

I'm going to use my iPad mostly for surfing and running apps. I doubt that I will ever load a video on it, or music. I may load a few pictures, but not much.

I have about 40 apps that I want to load, a few (4 or 5) which are games.

To those lucky enough to have an iPad, how much space are you using?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Your needs (as you describe them) would be fulfilled in the 16. Music and video are the big storage eaters. But, you might as well stick with the 32 you have on order. For sure the extra storage won't hurt anything and you just might want some tunes on there later, plus, you are sure to want more (or replace) apps.

I have about 20 apps on my 16, 3 gigs of photos, 2.5 gigs of tunes, 50 books, emails....etc and I still have half the memory free.....

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you should spend an hour looking through the iPad apps and add up the stuff you really NEED:). There is a whole lot of stuff there and for 100 bucks you can double your memory. Save yourself some hassle and move up to the 64gb model.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64GB model with anticipation of where apps will go. I really like the idea of "real" games on the device...and they will cost space! Some of the larger games are over 200MB....16GB would not cut it if games start hitting a 1GB footprint.

Media can be streamed so there isn't as much need for local media....BUT...until fall the only way to listen to music and do other things is local.

16GB to 64GB is only a $200 difference and your getting 4x more internal memory.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's why I preordered the airstash. That way no matter what I have an unlimited amount of memory to upgrade into and I can use it with any web enabled device.

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's why I preordered the airstash. That way no matter what I have an unlimited amount of memory to upgrade into and I can use it with any web enabled device.

I was gonna order that today until I dropped my iPhone and shattered the screen. ( ugh I was MADD )

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

thats great for media, but it won't help with apps.

I can use orb for audio streaming over my computer and air video for video...so thats not my concern.

robb25j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asphalt 5 alone like 248mb it's really the games that's taking up the space I haven't seen a HD game under 200mb yet

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash looks good. Do you know if it can read files directly from a portable hard drive and stream them via wifi or do you have to load the files from the portable to an SD card in the airstash first?

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went with the 64.gb model .. i have about 35.gbs of music on it along with about 5.gbs of applications and games ..the games really does take up the space in the unit

for i have my personal dvd and book library programs and inventory programs on the unit with about 24.gbs of stowage space to expand applications as need

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With boats and computers, you can never have to much power. And with computers it goes for storage.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think 16GB will be fine for me. I don't plan to use a ton of media. App space should not be a big concern, unless you plan to jailbreak and grab everything you can get your connection on. A few games, a day worth of music, few movies, and I will be set. If space becomes a issue, I can swap stuff out or make use of the cloud.

Most reactions