What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size should I get? 16GB, 32 GB, 64GB

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
I have to agree, if your main use is apps, then the 16 GB should be just fine. The things that take the most storage space are:

1. Movies
  2. Photos
  3. Music

... generally in that order. Even a few high-quality movies can fill up the space very quickly. But apps generally take very little space, even hundreds of them. You should have room for all the apps you can handle with 16 GB.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that why i chose the biggest unit out there so i can allways expand the applications when needed ..

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's why I preordered the airstash. That way no matter what I have an unlimited amount of memory to upgrade into and I can use it with any web enabled device.

thats great for media, but it won't help with apps.

I can use orb for audio streaming over my computer and air video for video...so thats not my concern.

I ordered the 64GB 3G, so if I use the airstash mostly for media, then I can dedicate the majority of the onboard 64GB to app's. That's alot of app's! What the airstash does is give me flexibility, assuming it works of course.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the 16g ordered and when I went to pick up, I went with 32. I have added quite a bit so far and still sitting with 20g left. It really becomes a decision of affordability. I wanted to make sure I had enough to get a case, bag, and whatever else I thought would be cool. The air stash seems like a great idea but I want to see some reviews before I do that.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say go bigger, I think the larger screen invites more use of the platform so you will spend more time on it, and as such begin to find more uses for it.

I used to use my Nano G5 at work to listen to music in the background, now I use the IPad with pictures and music shuffling and its much nicer.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the 16g ordered and when I went to pick up, I went with 32. I have added quite a bit so far and still sitting with 20g left. It really becomes a decision of affordability. I wanted to make sure I had enough to get a case, bag, and whatever else I thought would be cool. The air stash seems like a great idea but I want to see some reviews before I do that.

Yea Im taking a leap of faith with the airstash but it's only $100 and if it doesn't work I guess I can return it. But if it does work it will solve alot of my storage issues with several devices.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to vote for the "bigger the better" crowd. It is not a good feeling to want space and not have. Take my vote with a grain of salt, I think 64gb is small.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's why I preordered the airstash. That way no matter what I have an unlimited amount of memory to upgrade into and I can use it with any web enabled device.

I can use orb for audio streaming over my computer and air video for video...so thats not my concern.

I ordered the 64GB 3G, so if I use the airstash mostly for media, then I can dedicate the majority of the onboard 64GB to app's. That's alot of app's! What the airstash does is give me flexibility, assuming it works of course.

A user review as soon as you get it. I want to know more.

Thanks

OP
I

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure what I am going to do.

I figured out that if each app were 256 MB, 4 apps would equal 1 GB (256 X 4 = 1024), so I could put 128 256MB apps on 32 GB (256 X 128 = 32768). I probably won't have that many games. More like 4 or 5 games. The rest of the apps will be much smaller.

On the other hand, for another $100, I wouldn't have to worry. :confused:

Still the iPad is already kind of expensive. :(

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A user review as soon as you get it. I want to know more.

Thanks

You got it 4phun. Hopefully I'll have my 3G by then as well.

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
Hmmmm..... Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure what I am going to do.

I figured out that if each app were 256 MB, 4 apps would equal 1 GB (256 X 4 = 1024), so I could put 128 256MB apps on 32 GB (256 X 128 = 32768). I probably won't have that many games. More like 4 or 5 games. The rest of the apps will be much smaller.

On the other hand, for another $100, I wouldn't have to worry. :confused:

Still the iPad is already kind of expensive. :(

Most apps are a tiny fraction of that size, though. I think 1 MB to 10 MB is the average range.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me how big the Apps are that you are using day to day. I could go on itunes and look but thought I would ask here. I have a 16gb iphone have not made up my mind to get a 32 or 64 ipad and or airstash

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a 32 GB with 3G on pre-order, but I am wondering if I should up grade to the 64GB.

I'm going to use my iPad mostly for surfing and running apps. I doubt that I will ever load a video on it, or music. I may load a few pictures, but not much.

I have about 40 apps that I want to load, a few (4 or 5) which are games.

To those lucky enough to have an iPad, how much space are you using?

Go for the 64GB + 3G, that is what I am going to get. Remember if you get too much storage it is okay, if you get too little you will regret it.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you not buy the largest memory unit that you can afford? I've heard people say that if you're getting the 3G's you should get less memory because you'll be using the cloud - bunk! We're only talking about 64GB here.

BTW - does anyone know how much 'usable' memory we'll have after the base system load for the ipad and the 3G drivers?

Most reactions

Latest posts