1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

16gb ipad users- how do you manage space

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by 369, May 9, 2011.

1. 369

369 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

I am, planning to get the ipad2. I am however, not sure which size to get. I will be playing a few games music probably 1-2gb. Movies is what is concerning me.

How do you owners of ipad and 1 and 2 16gb have expanded size. cloud service(dropbox).
    Also, I am planning to get wi-fi only, i have an iphone 4 too. Now if i am travelling how can i remotely access videos on my computer through airvideo without 3g. Can I add personal hotspot to my iphone and get the wifi needed for my ipad to work when i am traveling or in the car.

Give me some ideas
  2. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    I use the AT&T hotspot on my iPhone 4

and it connects just fine. I also have 3g available.

With over 44 gig of material on my iPad I can't conceive of how I would manage 16 gig of storage. For starters, I guess I would deep six the 3000 or so songs I have on it and devote those solely to my iPod Nano and legacy iPods.
  3. Veritas

Veritas iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got 1200 songs, 3 movies, numerous apps and pictures. I've still got 2 gb left.
  4. iMadHatter

iMadHatter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    it would be hard for me to get down to 16 GB i have 25 GB's in music and movies by themselves.

But like you said the best way would be to stream everything from an online storage client or a remote desktop app.
  5. romanr

romanr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use every bit of my 64gb. About 50gb of that are movies and tv shows. Your average HD movie eats up about 3 or 4 gigs and one season of your typical tv show in HD will eat up about 10 gig. So you can see that even with my 64gb, I can't really store an extensive video library. I just freed up 10gb by putting my music on Amazon's cloud and as soon as Apple or Amazon roll out a video cloud player, I'll move my video to the cloud. Then 64gb should be plenty for Apps, Books, and any media I want available full-time.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on the media you plan on storing as to whether or not 16gb will be enough. Future implementation of cloud media storage/players will further help make that possible.
  6. Pingles

Pingles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have all of my music on my iPhone. Had about six movies and 20 TV shows on my 16GB.

Really depends on your mix. I had an Archos I carried around for years and realized I only watched 4 or 5 movies on a regular basis. The others I roll in and out.

Worked so well for me I got an iPad 16GB as well.
  7. Veritas

Veritas iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's really all you gotta do.
  8. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If I'm done with it, it's gone is how I manage on my 16gb Ipad. I have 7 songs,500 photos, no movies or TV shows and 100+ apps with over 11gb left available. I watch tv and movies but don't keep them on there and it's too cumbersome to use my iPad as a music player when I have a Zen music player and a good player on my phone. I just don't figure on ever using my iPad for music while cutting grass :D

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. uniquename

uniquename iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have three DVD rips, some songs (a few hundred ) and plenty of space. Since apple forces me to connect periodically, sixteen gigs is plenty for me. If the iPad was standalone I would want much more.
  10. Plwebb

Plwebb iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I keep my music on my iPhone 4. I have only a few songs on my iPad because I want to use it for apps. I don't have movies on my iPad but rather stream movies from Netflix. Therefore, I still have about one third free space left.
  11. sgregg

sgregg iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use pandora for music, hulu plus for tv and netflix for tv and movies, so apps and books are the only thing
    That gets stored on the ipad. 16g is more than enough space for me.
  12. 369

369 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys for your quick response and suggestions. I guess I will go with the 16gb.

The only other thing is can I use my iphone 4 to tether personal hotspot to use my ipad when in car or outside. I have currently unlimited data on my att plan.

How do I enable personal hotspot.
  13. Itwasntme

Itwasntme iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I leave enough free space for 1 or 2 movies. Once I'm done viewing a movie, I delete it.

If a game is taking up a lot of space, I'll delete it after I've completed it. I keep my eyes out for updates to those games, and will re-add them to my iPad when new content is released.

I'll archive magazine issues that I've read.

I keep only the photos and background images I'm most fond of.

Music eats up a lot of space, so only a few favorite songs make it onto my iPad (60-70 or so).

If I find myself neglecting an app, be it productivity, entertainment, game, utility, news, etc, it gets removed from the iPad. I try to keep only the apps that I enjoy or need.

Unless you're constantly downloading new apps, managing space really isn't painful.
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  14. Frenchroll

Frenchroll iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I could not live with a 16gb iPad
  15. snoitan

snoitan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a 32 GB iPad 2, but that's mainly because they didn't have any 16 GB versions on launch day. I like the extra elbow room, but I don't think it is needed. I mostly use the iPad at home, so with home sharing, I really only need space for apps.

I just keep my movies and music on my PC and use home sharing to play them through the iPad. Works out well using the iPad as a bridge to my HDTV. (I love the Digital AV Adapter, though with the Xbox 360 now supporting Hulu Plus, I don't use it as much as I did when i got it.)
  16. mobi1

mobi1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It depends on your usage. I don't store any music or video files on my ipad (because if never felt the need to). I use my mobile phone as music player and just stream videos.
  17. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    I jail broke my iPad so that is something to consider in this discussion. Since you are going with the iPad 2, you might not be able to do what I do until a JB arrives for your iPad. I bought the cheapest model, but I am old and still quite amazed that my Laptop has some 500 gigs of space, so 16 gB is more space than I really need.

As an aside, I downloaded a three gig plus Adobe software package and it took me a few moments to remember that a 3 gig install package will take up only a small percentage of my available drive space. You kids are accustomed to large drives but I remember when 4 Mb of memory and a 40 Mb HDD was amazing in a laptop that only cost three grand or perhaps it was four grand.

I love Drop Box. When I am researching something, I can copy and paste the info to a document stored on Drop Box and access the data anywhere I want to. Lately, I have simply saved the info to files on a 2 GB SD card, however. I still use it for non-critical work documents.

Anyway, I store some work documents on MicroSD cards and access them from my iPad. At any one time, I'll have less than 1 mB of data so a 2-GB SD card is vastly more space than I need. I am reminded of swapping floppy disks so I feel that I am working old school.

I store music files on other MicroSD cards and a few on a Flash drive. I do not care about a cool interface or player; I simply use iFile to find the music files I want to play on the SD card. Vivaldi is currently playing as I type. I'll bet there is a player from Cydia that works a little better. the point is, it works well for me.

One thing to consider is the AirStash drive. You have essentially unlimited storage and it is wireless; it connects to your iPad using WiFi and the cool thing is, the router is built-in. The drive places an icon on your iPad so your files are available and it streams music well.

Luck To You
  18. apple_junkie

apple_junkie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got the 16gb as well... i just keep a constant sync cycle of my media going!
  19. TheBigCheese

TheBigCheese iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One hint: I found the space getting low and the space used by apps and music didn't seem right. I wiped and reloaded the iPad using iTunes and I gained over 4GB space. I've done this again recently with similar results. I noticed that when I delete songs, the free space doesn't always go up and when I update apps, the same thing sometimes happens.
  20. 369

369 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, I went to the apple sore this morning at 9am when they open but apparently the lines had already formed since 4 and everything except verizon sold out.

Any idea when this supply issue will resolve.