What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does ITunes Do?

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess there's no reason to embellish on the question. ITunes. Honestly, I don't understand. What does it do for me on my Ipad(2)?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Music, movies, podcasts, mp3's...any of that interest you? that is what iTunes is for. :)

Yes, effectively it is an interface for managing your media (and some other stuff) between your computer and your iDevices.

The Archangel

OP
M

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, for my music/MP3s I use the iPod app, for movies I use Netflix and I really never bothered with podcasts (frankly I'm not really sure what those are if it's different from YouTube). So since I sync my music/MP3s to my iPad from my computer there's really no managing of any media that iTunes (on my iPad) gets involved with, so maybe for me the iTunes icon on my iPad is superfluous or unnecessary. Still, thanks for helping me corroborate things. May I ask is iTunes one of those icons (like, say, "Photos" or "Calendar" on the first screen that you can't remove (and if you can, how do you do it)?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...since I sync my music/MP3s to my iPad from my computer there's really no managing of any media that iTunes (on my iPad) gets involved with, so maybe for me the iTunes icon on my iPad is superfluous or unnecessary.

There's still some confusion here, as most of the respondents thought you were talking about the home pc program, not the app. You need iTunes on your iPad to purchase media, be it movies, tv shows or music. With iOS5, you can use iTunes to re-download music you've already purchased, should something happen to the file or you forget to sync over a song you need. If you never have and never will purchase any media from Apple, then you don't need iTunes.

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to try and live without iTunes, go to Settings > General > Restrictions. There are settings there to disable iTunes and other iPad features.

Most reactions