What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading and adding to iTunes w/o computer...

BrandonAElam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a frequently asked question, the search terms are too vague to help me find what I'm looking for. I wanna know if there is any way to download an MP3 on my iPad (I use iCabMobile) and then add it directly to iTunes (on my iPad). That way I wouldn't have to connect it to a computer to do add an MP3 to iTunes. I found an app that would download and extract .rar's, but had no way of adding them to iTunes. Does anyone know a method?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way I know to get music into the iPod app, is to buy them from iTunes from your device, or add them to iTunes on you computer and sync them in.

It may be possible with a jail broken iPad (I think only iPad 1 has been officially JB'd at this time). Check the "hacking" threads for more info.

OP
B

BrandonAElam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? You'd think they'd offer some kind of possibility to do this. Especially with them moving towards "own an iPad without ever having a computer" mentality

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but it's also a "buy all your media from us" attitude.:)
When iOS 5 comes out you'll be able to access all of your existing songs wirelessly from the cloud. Apple will generously "match" all songs you have, that you didn't buy from iTunes. (as I understand it anyway)

OP
B

BrandonAElam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what terrifies me about the iPad. They bait you with convenience and prepackaged apps into a system where they are the sole distributor of software. Give it another decade and all computing systems will resemble the iPad. All software will be delivered wireless to make the devices small as possible, and any breach of contract will result in termination of service, leaving you with a brick. Just wait.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak, you can just download an mp3 and add it to your library. It is a very easy process. If you are interested, let me know.
But first, iPad 1 or 2? The jailbreak for 2 is apparently supposed to come out tomorrow. But we will see how that goes.

Desmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I copied my MP3 music collection to itunes, and copied it to my ipad. I've only bought about a dozen songs from itunes. Ipad 1, no jailbreak.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I copied my MP3 music collection to itunes, and copied it to my ipad. I've only bought about a dozen songs from itunes. Ipad 1, no jailbreak.

Same here. About 1,000 CDs transferred to MP3, added to iTunes. No jailbreak. I've bought a total of one album from iTunes. Don't plan to buy any more. Plenty of movies and books, none purchased from iTunes.

I'll switch hardware at my convenience, taking my content with me.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Desmac said:

Kaykaykay said:
Same here. About 1,000 CDs transferred to MP3, added to iTunes. No jailbreak. I've bought a total of one album from iTunes. Don't plan to buy any more. Plenty of movies and books, none purchased from iTunes.

And you both did that not using your computer? Which was what the OP was asking, not just how to get mp3 onto the iPad, I think he knew you could do it via syncing with iTunes.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Desmac said:

Kaykaykay said:

And you both did that not using your computer? Which was what the OP was asking, not just how to get mp3 onto the iPad, I think he knew you could do it via syncing with iTunes.

No, did it with a computer. Responding to OP's "terror" about being left with a bricked device. Hardware quickly becomes obsolete. The key is being able to take your content with you, no matter your hardware.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BrandonAElam said:
Hm. Is there any real advantage to jailbreaking?

Check the link in my sig....
Transferring music downloaded on ipad to iPod can only be done on a jb device.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
If you jailbreak, you can just download an mp3 and add it to your library. It is a very easy process. If you are interested, let me know.
But first, iPad 1 or 2? The jailbreak for 2 is apparently supposed to come out tomorrow. But we will see how that goes.

Can you pm an explanation on how to do this??

Cheers

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should suggest be very carefull what you discuss
1) you can transfer your cd collection to iTunes and copy to the iPad
2) you can purchase songs from iTunes directly to the iPad or computer and sync
3) if you have "other" music on your hard drive that to can be synced
4) with iCloud and ios5 when released and if you pay a small fee you can have apple scan your drive and make all songs available to down load via wifi or 3 g.

The above assumes you are not jail broken

Discussion regarding Downloading free music shared via the Internet is not supported by this forum

I own several thousand songs many albums purchased via iTunes the new option to use iCloud to look after my collection of music is the best ever major change since iTunes began it makes life easy to say the least.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use amazon mp3 remotely, to download music I then send it to dropbox. If theres a way to get it into the music app then I'd like to hear it.

Oh and I'm jailbroken.

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts