What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What apps to get first?

Wth26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered a Ipad 4 and have no idea what im getting into. The wife said get us one so I did. What 5 free or paid apps would you go ahead and put on it for christmas. Its for my wife and 6 year old girl. Thanks Derrick

OP
W

Wth26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I should add that my wife is into pictures, video, and cooking. And I would like maybe a couple games and several learning apps for my daughter.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Depends on the type of content you're interested in.

For news content, I would go with an rss/news reader and a web browser that has more features.
I like Flipboard, Newsify, andAtomic browser.

For media content, I would go with music and video apps.
I like iTunes, Hulu+, Netflix, and YouTube.

For graphics content, I would go with some advanced image editing apps.
I like Adobe Photoshop Touch.

For reading books, I would go with ebook apps.
I like Kindle, iBooks, and Adobe Reader.

For office work, I would go with a word processor, a presentation app, and a spreadsheet app.
I like the iWork apps (Keynote, Pages, Numbers).

For social connections, I would go with messaging/forum apps.
I like ebuddy pro, Twitter, Facebook, Meetup, and Tapatalk.

You might also think about file storage for things not covered by iCloud. I like Dropbox for this.

Or, you could go with all of the above. I have them all and I feel this is a near-replacement for a desktop computer.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I should add that my wife is into pictures, video, and cooking. And I would like maybe a couple games and several learning apps for my daughter.

There are many apps that encompass all of those areas. I think you're going to need another iPad ;)

OP
W

Wth26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many apps that encompass all of those areas. I think you're going to need another iPad ;)

It seems you are correct. Lol
I guess I just need some type of good kids apps and a photoshop of some kind.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems you are correct. Lol
I guess I just need some type of good kids apps and a photoshop of some kind.

Keep in mind that it may be possible for your daughter to make accidental purchases on the iPad, so you'll need to research the restrictions settings, go to Settings > Restrictions.

OP
W

Wth26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it may be possible for your daughter to make accidental purchases on the iPad, so you'll need to research the restrictions settings, go to Settings > Restrictions.
Can I set it up for multi users? I didnt think about her having that kind of ability. Lol

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can I set it up for multi users? I didnt think about her having that kind of ability. Lol

iPhones and iPads are single-user devices. However, the restrictions settings will allow you to passcode protect your choice of apps, content, privacy, purchases, changes, etc. here's a screenshot that may help you understand more (there are more options that didn't fit into the screenshot):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355775627.613860.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

Wth26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well crap. I guess thats ok. Thanks for the ss. I noticed on another thread that the reason for apps is so spam cant get into the directory. Is that right? So I do or do not need to add my norton to this?

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wth26 said:

All the above suggestions are great but the one I would add for your wife, and indirectly for you is BigOven, a free recipe app.

OP
W

Wth26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the above suggestions are great but the one I would add for your wife, and indirectly for you is BigOven, a free recipe app.

I like the sound of this one. She needs all the help she can get. J/k pls dont flame me lol

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well crap. I guess thats ok. Thanks for the ss. I noticed on another thread that the reason for apps is so spam cant get into the directory. Is that right? So I do or do not need to add my norton to this?

Apps are sandboxed, the only spam you may get is in email. I feel that the anti-virus and malware protection apps are unnecessary on iOS - though their developers probably don't want users to believe that. The weakest link in the computer security chain, in my opinion, is the user.

Last edited:
OP
W

Wth26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps are sandboxed, the only spam you may get is in email. I feel that the anti-virus and malware protection apps are unnecessary on iOS - though their developers probably don't want users to believe that. The weakest link in the computer security chain, in my opinion, is the user.
Ok so its not worth the time/money. Tks

jolie11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some apps you could get.
For videos, Air video is need
Cooking: Cooking Light Magazine
Games: Mr. & Mrs. Cutie pie, Angry King Kong Deluxe

Most reactions

Latest posts