What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Problem..... Not Sure If Jailbreak Is he Problem.... Need Help

Jmciver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a weird problem that just popped up with my Jailbroken iPad 2 w/4.3.3. Up until this point I have had no issues running any Apple or Cydia apps. Anyway here is the problem:

I purchased a book via iBooks, but the book did not download correctly to my iPad. One of two things would happen: 1) The book would appear to download but when I would open it in iBooks, the first page of the book would open, but then iBooks would crash/shut down after a few seconds. 2) The small loading bar would be displayed inside the book's icon, except there would be no download progress.

I even tried to install the book via iTunes and my Mac, which would seem to go fine. But when I tried to open the book in iBooks, one of the two errors listed above would occur.

Troubleshooting done so far...

1. I reset all of the network components in my house just to make sure the network was not the issue. All other computers and components in my home network work fine.

2. I performed numerous shutdowns of my iPad and attempted the above steps, but the same issues occurred.

3. I deleted iBooks from my iPad and tried to re-download it via WiFi, but it never completely downloaded. Not sure why though since all other WiFi functions seemed to be working properly.

4. I downloaded iBooks via iTunes and my USB cable connected to my Mac without issue, but still could not download the book in question.

5. I downloaded the same book to my son's iPad, which IS NOT jailbroken and is still ver 4.3.3 and it worked just fine.

The fact that I had no issues with the book on my son's iPad makes me think it has something to do with the jailbreak and/or the Cydia programs on my iPad. If it does have something to do with the jailbreak and/or jailbreak programs, I don't know where to begin to look.

As I said before, this is the first issue like this I have had with my jailbroken iPad. Of note, this is the first time I have purchased/downloaded a book to my iPad via iBooks if that means anything.

If there is any other info needed to help me with this problem, let me know and I will post it.

Thanks...

kimyr0501

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issues 
My ibooks crashes whenever i opens store downloaded on both free/purchased books.
Wierd thing is that the books i synked with itunes are opening just fine.
Or maybe its the books i downloaded before jailbroken.
So i will synk the new books i downloaded and update to u later.

Im using ipad2 4.3.3 jailbroken 

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Despite what Grayson says, I am pretty sure that I recall Leigh suggesting that there is an incompatibility between iBooks and a JB iPad. I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell us some more about this.

Tim

OP
J

Jmciver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for the info! The symptoms reported in those threads are the same ones that I have, specifically, iBooks works fine with free books from Apple (I downloaded a few free books while troubleshooting after my original post), but the one purchased book (which was an expensive one at $18 for my graduate work :mad: ) still would still cause iBooks to crash.

At least I know it is a JB issue, as confirmed by the fact that it worked fine on my son's non-JB iPad and the community here. So I guess my next question is if the fix mentioned in the first thread, which was dated back in Feb 2011, still works. I will play around with that when I get home from work. Anybody know if the fix mentioned in the first thread still works, the thread died a while ago?

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good, preferably free, ereader that can read AND import .epub files? The whole reason I bought the book in the first place was to read it in Goodreader, since that application has been very good for my graduate work. I thought I did my homework on the internet about reading ebooks in Goodreader before I made the book purchase, but come to find out that Goodreader does not recognize .epub files AFTER I bought the ebook from apple :confused: .

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if you buy an epub from Apple, you can only read it via iBooks. This is because of the proprietary anti-piracy coding - DRM - that most booksellers put into their ebooks.

Sorry, but you are in a catch 22 there...

Marilyn

kimyr0501

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I synked my new purchased books, but no use.
I also tried the ibooks fix by another source but still not working

Any other solutions???

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Despite what Grayson says, I am pretty sure that I recall Leigh suggesting that there is an incompatibility between iBooks and a JB iPad. I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell us some more about this.

Tim

I have not seen any problems with iBooks and my JB iPad.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

I have not seen any problems with iBooks and my JB iPad.

Me either.
There has been a bad history between JB and iBooks. But it always gave you an error or something. It didn't just not work.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if you buy an epub from Apple, you can only read it via iBooks. This is because of the proprietary anti-piracy coding - DRM - that most booksellers put into their ebooks.

Marilyn

Could you possibly use software like Calibre (which is free) to open the file and then resave it in another format? Or does the DRM prevent Calibre from doing this?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Could you possibly use software like Calibre (which is free) to open the file and then resave it in another format? Or does the DRM prevent Calibre from doing this?

The DRM would prevent that I assume. But wait for a response from someone who really knows the answer. :)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Marilyn

The DRM would prevent that I assume. But wait for a response from someone who really knows the answer. :)

For what is worth, here is what I just tried. No guarantee it will do what you want, it simply did what I did in my case and my results.

I used Calibre to convert the free Apple User Guide found on iTunes to a PDF file. I do not know what the DRM status of Apple's book; I picked it to run a random test. Will it work with all .epub books from Apple, just a few, or Bob was simply lucky, I do not know.

Calibre will convert to 15 or so formats including .pdf and .pdb.

After converting, I emailed the file to myself and opened my mail. I long pressed the attachment and iPad asked me "Open in . . ." I selected iBooks. After a short wait, the file opened in iBooks just fine

So I'll tentatively say yes, it Calibre can convert .epub books to .pdf files and those converted files will open on the iPad.

Now, I'll accept that perhaps there are no DRM issues because Apple might not have set it up with this specific book. I'll also say I might be lucky, and I'll accept that it might not convert all books from itunes. Their goal might be to allow the User Guide to be freely distributed so they relaxed something. Just a guess.

You might want to DL Calibre and try converting a paid book and see what you get. Free books from iTunes might be convertible where as paid for books are locked down much tighter and Calibre does not work.

So there you go, for what it is worth.

Most reactions

Latest posts