What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*WARNING* 3G service

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just wanted to put this out there for those that have not yet signed up for 3G service.

The iPad uses a lot of data. It seems that you could easily use up 100+ mb per day with regular usage. I have been averaging over 100 per day with normal browsing. This is with out streaming video. There are a number of other people out there noting the unusually high cunsumtion rate.

In the interest on science please post your average.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder what overall load AT&T has seen on their network the past few days..

eflyersteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember that data usage is accrued going both ways. Requests sent from the iPad count toward your data usage. It's not a great amount of data however.

socalpimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I dont know how anyone is gonna stay under the 250mb. I used the ipad lightly for a few hours and used over 100 mb. I have no idea why its using such a high amount of data. No streaming video....although some streaming pandora.

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's because the screen is over 6 times the size of my iPhone plus HD. My solution for this month is to keep it off until I need it although I m sure I'll run out about mid month.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since its delivery Friday around 11am, I have blown through <600 MB of data. I don't have a wifi home network, but I didn't do streaming vids, either.

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
I don't have a 3g model yet, but I'm waiting on it. What's the montly fee for unlimited bandwidth? I was paying $70/month for a Verizon aircard and I'm pretty sure the iPad unlimited pricing is less than that.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my 3G experience in Europe/Germany I can tell you, that you should opt for 1GB/month. Even on my iPhone I was scratching that data-volume almost every month.
If you don't want the unlimited plan, then buy the wifi hotspot flatrate as well.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since Friday afternoon i'm at 500+ Meg used and that is on Edge, so there is a lot of stuff I don't do. I cannot even imagine how much I'd have used by now if there was 3G out in the sticks where I live!

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the "unlimited" iPad plan is actually capped at 5Gigs. That's a lot until you start downloading movies. I've been using a 64G wifi iPad since the launch and have been able to get by without the 3G decently well. I did pick up a Sprint Overdrive mobile hotspot to try out and used it sparingly the last few weeks while traveling (rather than pay the $15 per day hotel Internet charge). I also have an unboxed 32G 3G iPad sitting on my desk (since the 3G launch last Friday). Only reason I haven't opened the 3G is because I'm not 100% sure I need the 3G, interesting dilemma huh....

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The unlimited plan is truly unlimited with no 5gig softcap. AT&T has stated several times when asked, that it was truly unlimited, with no nasty letters from them no matter how much you use!

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how long that will last. Once Jailbroken, and tethering to a PC, I am sure people will use the 3G connection, as their main ISP downloading tons of gigs a month from Usenet, bitorrent, http, etc.. I would hate to see it abused, and the price raised.

Most reactions

Latest posts