iPad 3G Data Service Explained before Friday's 3G iPad Launch

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by 4phun, Apr 28, 2010.

1. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Unlimited means unlimited

This is the only plan AT&T has that means UNLIMITED DATA, no overage charges.

Your iPhone plan with AT&T can go over the 5GB limit and you will face additional charges. This is why tethering to an iPhone is a bad idea if AT&T wants to clamp down on data usage.

T-Mobile started offering UNLIMITED 3G data today but I am not clear how you can qualify for it.
    My guess this move was to take on AT&T's iPad plan. I think TMOs's plan is a contract.

SPRINT offers UNLIMITED 4G data but their 4G modem can and does fall back to 3G. Sprint customers have gotten some horrific data bills when they thought they were good for unlimited 4G data. It is in the fine print with Sprint.

Sprint's plan is a two year contract with ETF.

2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    As far as it goes, it is suppose to be unlimited, but if that gets abused, I am sure they will amend the rules. As far as the choices of services, it depends on the indiviual which is needed, If you have good service and use it a lot, you want the unlimited. If your use is sporatic, it may pay to try the 250mb. And be aware that there is a counter on your iPad that keeps track of the usage, so you would not be left being cut off unexpectedly.

3. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

Good thinking. If you plan to stream video the UNLIMITED 3G is the way to go. Casual surfing and email should be fine with $15.

Remember you do not have to subscribe to any
    3G data if you do not need any or want any,

4. lowlife

lowlife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My plan is to get the unlimited for a couple of months and use the Ipad normally. At that point I will see if I can get away with the $15 plan.

5. Orcapal

Orcapal
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What about International Roaming?

6. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I hope one of the cell phone companies here offers a 3G unlimited data plan for around 3000yen (~$30). If they do, I'll consider replacing my standard iPad with a 3G.

7. JMK

JMK
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'll probably have a lot of data usage the first month while setting up and testing apps. Probably drop off in month 2.

I'll see about moving to limited after that but I don't think I can get by on the 250 Mb per month.

I work in a datacenter with 18" concrete walls. (like a bunker) No Wifi getting in or out but 3G is good.

8. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Even on the months I was out of town and using my data on my iphone all the time I just barely hit the 250 MB mark, so I seriously doubt I'll go over on ipad. Especially since I'll just use my wifi network when at home.

9. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks 4phun, you're a limitless fountain of information!

10. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally I think it would be expensive if you used it say over a month or more. 2 days may be ok we have 3g in aus and as the ipad is unlocked you could by a pre paid plan which should work out cheaper. This also applys to other countries as well. Best thing to do is check what the charges are and what your options are
    Col downunder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk