*WARNING* 3G service

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by lowlife, May 3, 2010.

1. kheldour

kheldour
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    From my 3G experience in Europe/Germany I can tell you, that you should opt for 1GB/month. Even on my iPhone I was scratching that data-volume almost every month.
    If you don't want the unlimited plan, then buy the wifi hotspot flatrate as well.

2. cherhall

cherhall
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Since Friday afternoon i'm at 500+ Meg used and that is on Edge, so there is a lot of stuff I don't do. I cannot even imagine how much I'd have used by now if there was 3G out in the sticks where I live!

3. CPMS

CPMS
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think the "unlimited" iPad plan is actually capped at 5Gigs. That's a lot until you start downloading movies. I've been using a 64G wifi iPad since the launch and have been able to get by without the 3G decently well. I did pick up a Sprint Overdrive mobile hotspot to try out and used it sparingly the last few weeks while traveling (rather than pay the $15 per day hotel Internet charge). I also have an unboxed 32G 3G iPad sitting on my desk (since the 3G launch last Friday). Only reason I haven't opened the 3G is because I'm not 100% sure I need the 3G, interesting dilemma huh....

4. cherhall

cherhall
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The unlimited plan is truly unlimited with no 5gig softcap. AT&T has stated several times when asked, that it was truly unlimited, with no nasty letters from them no matter how much you use!

5. Takenover83

Takenover83
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how long that will last. Once Jailbroken, and tethering to a PC, I am sure people will use the 3G connection, as their main ISP downloading tons of gigs a month from Usenet, bitorrent, http, etc.. I would hate to see it abused, and the price raised.

6. lowlife

lowlife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Lol. It means do not get the 250mb plan.

7. ipadgypsy

ipadgypsy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I thought the warning meant be sure
    YOu have 3G in your Area....I could not sign up without using a credit card that had a zip code that was 3G enabled. How ridiculous! I am in va and had to use my daughter's credit card in Michigan to get the data plan - I also spent Torturous hours this weekend with AppleCare and ATT before a tech figured this out!
    As you can imagine - I am elevating my complaint as high as I am able. It boggles my mind that it didn't occur to ATT to have a work around for this!

Ipadgypsy

8. cherhall

cherhall
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You CAN sign up for service without having 3G in your area. I activated two ipads Friday morning with no problem. I used my own address and I live at least an hour from the nearest 3G coverage. Actually I'm just barely in their Edge coverage! I've used it constantly since Friday, up to 550 Meg used already.

#18 cherhall, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  9. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You have your answer. We did a QOS on our network, and Pandora was eating up a ton of bandwidth. Between that and YouTube we figured we could drop one of our T1s, if we blocked both.

10. rowan

rowan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to measure usage without being on a data plan?