Wallpaper Cropping

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Knightoftheapp, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad 2 and have upgraded to iOS 7. Attached are two photos of the wallpaper I'm currently using. You'll notice the screen shots of the same photo in both portrait and landscape. The woman's head is cropped off at the top when the photo is in landscape mode. Is there any way to fix this? It's rather annoying. This did not happen in previous versions of iOS. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. willerz2

willerz2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe so as that's pretty much how it's coded. Unless there's more to the wallpaper where you can drag the center of it a little lower to expose more of the top of the wallpaper so that if you change orientations, it would still retain the upper portion of her head. The extremities of the picture are the areas to avoid on the iPad when it comes to wallpaper as they're almost guaranteed to cut off in one orientation or another. Or, try setting the wallpaper while in the landscape orientation and position it so that the head is shown. Then change it to the portrait orientation and see if that helps.

#2 willerz2, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    There is a way to "move and scale" the photo when choosing the wallpaper you want to use, but you can only move the photo from side to side.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Not ideal, but if you zoom into the wallpaper using the pinch out gesture, you'll gain the ability to drag it up/down a bit. Finding a good balance between the loss of resolution in zooming and a decent looking crop of the wallpaper may not be possible. Due to the new parallax feature iOS 7 scales wallpapers differently. It has to. In the end some of your old wallpapers simply aren't going to work the way you want.

On the bright side, this means that wallpaper creators should be inspired to make a whole new batch of images optimized for iOS 7. They will likely be a bit larger, to make room for parallax, and keep the important bits away from the edges so they show properly.

Note: The pinch/zoom gesture tends to lag on older devices when adjusting wallpaper (like my iPad 3), so patience may be required. Apparently the iPad recomputes the parallax effect after each adjustment and this requires some time. If you wait until the effect is live in the preview before each adjustment things go a bit smoother.

5. Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:

I tried your "pinch & zoom" idea with no success. But I'll try it again. Perhaps it's just a matter of practice. You're brilliant! I never thought about the parallax factor. Another idea would be to crop the photo with a good photo editing app.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Cropping the photo before hand probably won't help with things like cut off heads. You'd need to do the opposite, add some boarders so that the head is no longer at the edge of the image.

7. Gazzaho

Gazzaho
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The simple fact is that they give us a useless piece of eye candy that, quite honestly is less than impressive visually, in the form of parallax.

It's like the wallpaper scaling is set to display the wrong axis of the picture, with IOS 6 a picture could be scaled to the top and bottom of the picture for portrait and landscape, in IOS 7 this scaling doesn't happen period. No matter how much I try moving, scaling or zooming in both directions it snaps to a centre point and displays that area alone. This cannot be a feature, and parallax in my view can't be the main culprit either, as from reading various posts, relating to the iPhone I may add some owners have claimed switching parallax off solved their wallpaper problem while others experienced no change.

The only way I have found to display a picture un-cropped in landscape is to reduce its size with an app like InstaSize until it displays top and bottom, but then it doesn't display in portrait. This is what I ended up with.

Attached Files:

8. Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Thanks.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure the problem with snapping and zooming has to do with the fact that wallpapers optimized for iOS 6 are too small to take full advantage of iOS 7.

While the details differ, this is pretty much the same thing that happened when the retina iPad's came out. People found that their old wallpapers looked terrible. They had to find new ones if they wanted things to look as nice as possible. After a short time the market answered and there were a flood of new retina optimized backgrounds. I'm expecting the same to happen for iOS 7, only parallax optimized.

Personally, I have no favorite themes or subjects; so my attachment to a wallpaper is almost purely about whether it looks good but doesn't distract. When my old wallpaper didn't look good anymore, it was time to go find one that did. Sort of inconvenient, but also sort of fun. I don't wallpaper hunt often, but I enjoy tinkering around to see what looks good. With iOS 7 this is even more challenging/fun, since the wallpaper affects so much more of the interface's appearance.

10. Gazzaho

Gazzaho
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I can't argue with you on any of your comments, but the wallpapers or photos I have were originally on my iPad 1, I then transferred them to my new retina iPad 4 with no problem until IOS 7 was released, they looked and scaled properly. If parallax is the true culprit it would be nice to have it confirmed by Apple. A lot of people do get attached to their favourites, I myself don't, but every picture I have on my device will not work the way it should.

I feel to make a change like this with no official explanation as to what is happening or how to correct it is unhelpful. An official explanation, even if it's only to say your original pictures may not scale properly due to the introduction of parallax would be better than absolute silence. They have to have made changes to the core wallpaper settings if simply turning off parallax doesn't correct the problem, as it stands now I wouldn't even know what size a picture has to be in order to make it scale properly. I'm sure some people out there have, through trial and error, figured it out but we shouldn't have to do it that way this is supposedly an intuitive device, it should either work or if not an explanation given on how to rectify it.

If there's a hard or easy way of doing things it's my impression that Apple always seem to choose the former rather than latter.