What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tweak to hide time/battery in Photos

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm unsatisfied with the displaying the time/battery bar at the top when looking at a photo. I like to do a screen capture to make a picture smaller in Bytes, or quickly crop and save the aspect ratio. Since iOS 7 I have noticed there is a current time and battery captured at the top of the screen capture. Is there a way to turn this off with a tweak, or in settings?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To turn it off just for a screen capture, unfortunately no based on how the iOS was designed with screen capture in mind. To hide it in general, you can use Cloaky, Springtomize 3 and HideMe7 (Lite Version here) (the big 3 that comes to mind). Each are linked to their Cydia description pages for your viewing convenience. It's the same appearance as you would get when you open up Cydia minus the ads.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are looking at a picture full screen in the Photos app and see the title bar, just tap the center of the photo. The bar will disappear and the background (if any is showing) will turn black. Now take your screen shot.

You can also swipe through the current album or area by swiping the screen without leaving this viewing mode.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm unsatisfied with the displaying the time/battery bar at the top when looking at a photo. I like to do a screen capture to make a picture smaller in Bytes, or quickly crop and save the aspect ratio. Since iOS 7 I have noticed there is a current time and battery captured at the top of the screen capture. Is there a way to turn this off with a tweak, or in settings?

I've re-read your post and I think I know, now, what the issue is. When you are looking at a picture and it's supPOSed to be in full screen view (as twerppoet described) - you still see the status bar info, right?

If that's so, it's a result of the jail break. When the jail break is done, system apps get moved to free up space on the system partition (to allow you to install tweaks and 3rd-party apps without the risk of filling up your root partition).

One result of that move is that the status bar got "messed up" (long involved story on the error ... but who's got time for that? :)). The point is, the fix is up to saurik who is busy with other [more important] issues, so it's not repaired yet.

However, a tweak was created to fix the issue until saurik can fix it for realz. It's a Mobile Substrate tweak so it won't "break" the iPad (or cause it to break when a fix is found); no Apple/stock files are modified. The tweak is called:

"StatusBarFix2"

And it can be found at this repo: repo.pnre.co.vu/

The latest version is 0.1.2-1 and I've been running it since it was released (on both my iPhone 5 and my iPad Air) and I've seen/found nothing wrong with it. And it works - the status bar is gone when it should be.

Hopefully, that's your issue and this helps solve it. If yes, yay! If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've re-read your post and I think I know, now, what the issue is. When you are looking at a picture and it's supPOSed to be in full screen view (as twerppoet described) - you still see the status bar info, right?
. . .
Marilyn

Ahh, right. I really need to make sure I know what forum area I am in before posting. Though, in this case I might have posted anyway. The full screen mode in iOS 7 is not as obvious as it was in iOS 6.

OP
Fid

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've re-read your post and I think I know, now, what the issue is. When you are looking at a picture and it's supPOSed to be in full screen view (as twerppoet described) - you still see the status bar info, right? If that's so, it's a result of the jail break. ...snip... If yes, yay! If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it. Marilyn
Thank you Marilyn. That explains my situation. I'll try the tweak you recommend. One way around it that I tried tonight was to open a photo in the free photoshop app and do a screen capture. Then back in the regular Apple picture viewer I was able to crop the photo to get rid of the time and battery bar. It's a bit of a round about way to shrink the bytes that a picture has.
<edit> that took care of the problem I was seeing. It was fast to add the repo and download the tweak, even on dial up connection. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[snip]...

<edit> that took care of the problem I was seeing. It was fast to add the repo and download the tweak, even on dial up connection. Thank you again.

Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us.

And please keep posting wherever/whenever you see a need, twerppoet. If your comment about how to view full screen hadn't "jiggled" my brain to remember the tweak - who knows how long it might have taken to fix this! 'Sides, it ISN'T so obvious about making a picture full screen... :) So, thanks go to you, too.

Marilyn

OP
Fid

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us. And please keep posting wherever/whenever you see a need, twerppoet. If your comment about how to view full screen hadn't "jiggled" my brain to remember the tweak - who knows how long it might have taken to fix this! 'Sides, it ISN'T so obvious about making a picture full screen... :) So, thanks go to you, too. Marilyn
I'd like to throw in my two cents worth of thanks, too. Twerppoet, thanks. You are on here a lot and I enjoy reading the helpful hints you post. When iOS 7 came around the top and bottom bars seemed to become much more in the way to me. It took a minute for me to realize that I had to tap the center to hide them. Now I hardly notice them, except when I screen capture and they happen to be showing.

Most reactions

Latest posts