VLC for iPad Approved by Apple - In Store Now

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by JohnnyApple, Sep 20, 2010.

By JohnnyApple on Sep 20, 2010 at 2:37 PM
  1. JohnnyApple

Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Thanks Received:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4CHkHtUJ8w]YouTube - VLC For iPad Preview[/ame]

If you were waiting for the VLC app for the iPad to be approved, wait no longer. It has been approved by Apple and is now available int he app store. We first discussed VLC being a competitor (and perhaps, far superior) to Cinexplayer previously.

Now that it's availble, you can do an apple's to apple's comparison. So hop on over to the App store, check out and let us know what you think!

(Source: AppAdvice.com)
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by JohnnyApple, Sep 20, 2010.

1. RobertBasil
      I would be impressed if the VLC app would play my avi files. Out of the 10 I tried it played only two correctly. Yes, they all play in VLC on my Mac. Just read the app store reviews, there are many others having the same problem. I love VLC and have been a huge fan for years, but it looks like this release was rushed to the app store before it was ready. :-(
    2. Protegeone
      Absolutely agree.. :(

I've downloaded and tried a short mkv file, but it gave me a note:
      "Yor iPad is probably too slow to play this movie correctly."

You can still say: TRY, but it is hopeless.

I haven't tried simple .avi as I have CinexPlayer for that, which - luckily has
      not refused to play many files.
      Plus even the ones Cinexplayer refuses, just run through Avimux and everything works fine again.

The other annoying thing is that you can only delete a film/file through iTunes, which is shabby again.
    3. KORA

This software is so good and free. It plays almost all formats including m4v. APPLIDIUM should be thanked profusely for providng this fo iPad users.
    4. NumbLock
      I would profusely thank them if it worked :(
    5. gentlefury
      I would be impressed if it didn't require an itunes sync to do anything....lame! I'll stick with Air Video.
    6. RobertBasil
      One look at the reviews in the app store will prove otherwise.
    7. Hasty
    8. RobertBasil
      Hardware acceleration has nothing to do with some the 8 out of 10 avi files I tried not playing even though they play fine on my Mac with VLC. Look in the app comments, many people are having the same problem.

I love VLC, I've even made a donation and have been using it on my Macs since the day it was available (and used it in Windows before that). All I'm saying is this app is not ready for prime time and should have been worked on more before it was released. My worry is people who don't know anything about VLC will get fed up with this buggy version and never try it again.
    9. KORA
      I might have been overenthusiastic to find a free version of VLC for iPad. But usually they release updates fixing the bugs and I along with so many admirers of VLC software wish that they release an update very soon.