What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very frustrated with this iPad

ihateapples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently purchased this iPad2 on the suggestion of a salesman at Best Buy after explaining what I needed. So far I haven't found a way to get it to do any of the things I was told it could do. I'm a photographer, and I need to be able to show clients copies of their proofs. I was sold an adaptor, and told I would be able to plug a zip drive into it and display photos stored in a folder on that drive. When I tried that I got a message that the drive required too much power. I connected an external hard drive and uploaded several gigs of photos, but now I can't find them. When I signed up for this for this forum I wasn't able to get the cursor to go into the message window. After about three hours trying many different things I changed the font to Georgia, and the cursor showed up in the message window. My daughter has an Asus tablet computer with the Android system and I have no trouble with it at all, I can plug my zip drive into it's built in USB port and dispay my photos without any problems. So what am I doing wrong?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad USB port supplies only 10mA as opposed to the normal USB port of a PC, which supplies 300mA. You were not correctly informed; the iPad does not support a zip drive and only photographs can be downloaded from an attached SD Card or similar with sufficiently low power requirements.

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If your daughter has a tablet that provides a complete solution to your problem, take your iPad back to the store and exchange it for a tool that works for you.

You would not try to shoot sports action shots with a portrait camera. Use the right tool for the job.

-t

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am with thewitt with this one, total agreement. Also the sales person gave you bad advice in best buy, i say return it asap and get the asus as you know that tablet works. Problem solved

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

OP
I

ihateapples

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the answer to one problem only to raise another issue. The iPad will only see a zip drive of 8 gigs or less. I had been using 16 gig drive. The pictures must be in a folder named DCIM, so the iPad will know they are photos.
So now I need to know how to put them into folders, so I can keep my client's pictured separate.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Folder management on the iPad itself in the stock photo app comes with iOS 5 in another month.

If you need it before then, there are lots of apps in the store for photo management.

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts