What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios5 ipad non loading because of lack of hard drive space

gemal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Im a new user to the forum but living in a house with ipods, iphones, macs, ipads 1&2, apple tv...need isay
More? But i wonder if you guys can help. Im trying to upgrade my 32g ipad2 to ios5, however because the ipad needs to be backed up on my peecee im getting errors because of a lack of hard drive space. I have a ton of apps on my ipad, the message says i have only 10 gigs of free space on my HD, and i need to free up another 25 in order to back up my ipad. I do have a passport aux hard drive that has plenty of space, is there a way i can have
Itunes do it's backup and syncing on this drive. I tried to drag some documents to free up space but no way it would add up to 25 gigs so right now i'm stuck without a solution. I did manage to update my iphone on the same
Computer without issues because i have much less apps on my phone, after which i transfered the backup apps to the passport drive-but still not enough room for the ipad. Hope there is an easy solution i dont want to reinstall
300 plus apps... Thanking you in advance. Marshall

kmcca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me as well. I didn't have this problem with the last OS. The phone update was fine, but I can't see a solution to this. I also have a passport drive and would like to backup on that. Ideas welcome. I'll try the above discussion links.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Gemal - welcome to the forum! :) And an issue that I had not considered - waiting until next week to upgrade to iOS5 - letting the Apple servers cool down! :D

My iPad2 is registered w/ my Dell VISTA laptop (older Latitude model) which has about 20 GB of 'free space' left on the HD - now my 32 GB iPad is not that filled, i.e. less than 10 GB of data (have my music on an iPod) - I'm not sure if there is a 'fixed' amount of free space on a HD needed by this new upgrade or whether it will depend on the amount of data on your iPad, I would hope for the latter; advice here would here from those who know?

Of course, I could remove 'stuff' from my iPad & also my laptop - but will await a few more responses to this thread; might delay my upgrade if our 'experts' cannot figure this out for us - good luck! :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
gemal

gemal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I threw caution to the wind with mixed results. I was able to only back up by right clicking on the iPad menu icon. The transfer of purchases back up via normal upgrading was impossible because not only new purchases was added to the hard drive but a copy of everything else as well. (which didn't fit).
I ended up upgrading to os5 by upgrading without adding apps. The os was installed cleanly without my few hundred or so apps. However I was able to go to restore purchases on my iPad and download via wifi all of my apps which I chose to download. I was happy that all of my progress in games were still as I left them, and just for a couple of apps I had to re enter some information.. Although the annoying part was I had to spend a lot of time creating folders again.
All in all it worked out, just don't know if this solution is for everybody..

Most reactions

Latest posts