What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Mobile Phone to Connect to the Internet

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that this might be called tethering.

Is it possible to connect to your mobile phone (not necessarily an iPhone) via Bluetooth or WiFi and use it as a "modem" to connect to the Internet vie 3G network.? Actually I am pretty sure that Bluetooth won't work.

I have seen that "WiFi modems" can be used with the iPad. In principal your mobile phone should be able to do the same thing without needing another 3G account. Does a WiFi modem operate differently in some way?

kojava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the Sprint phones have ability to become mobile Wifi hotspots. That's one way to connect your iPad to internet via a phone while on the go.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some of the Sprint phones have ability to become mobile Wifi hotspots. That's one way to connect your iPad to internet via a phone while on the go.

I forgot to mention but no doubt everyone has assumed, I have a WiFi only iPad.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that this might be called tethering.

Is it possible to connect to your mobile phone (not necessarily an iPhone) via Bluetooth or WiFi and use it as a "modem" to connect to the Internet vie 3G network.? Actually I am pretty sure that Bluetooth won't work.

I have seen that "WiFi modems" can be used with the iPad. In principal your mobile phone should be able to do the same thing without needing another 3G account. Does a WiFi modem operate differently in some way?

Yes it is called tethering, and is definitely possible. You just need a phone with the capabilities to do it. For example, some of the newer android phones have the ability to become a mobile hotpsot. I have the original droid, and I have rooted it, and have the ability to use that 3G connection for my iPad. It's great :)

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it is called tethering, and is definitely possible. You just need a phone with the capabilities to do it. For example, some of the newer android phones have the ability to become a mobile hotpsot. I have the original droid, and I have rooted it, and have the ability to use that 3G connection for my iPad. It's great :)

So this is unlikely to be possible on a Windows Mobile 6.x phone?

I kind of assume that Apple is not keen on this as it bypasses the need to buy a 3G iPad and pay for an addition 3G data service when you already have one on your existing mobile.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I kind of assume that Apple is not keen on this as it bypasses the need to buy a 3G iPad and pay for an addition 3G data service when you already have one on your existing mobile.

Well I loaded WMWiFiRouter onto my HTC Touch 3G and it all seemed to work perfectly. The was no problem connection to it in iPad's WiFi settings. I have 21 day trial after which I have to pay $21. Not sure whether that's USD or AUD but it doesn't make much difference these days. :D

The main problem that I have with buying the 3G iPad is that I am already paying for data access on my phone.

Last edited:

fergy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a htc hd2 windoz mobile running a htc rom and have done just that.
I would say that it is a little bit slower but works fine.

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well I loaded WMWiFiRouter onto my HTC Touch 3G and it all seemed to work perfectly. The was no problem connection to it in iPad's WiFi settings. I have 21 day trial after which I have to pay $21. Not sure whether that's USD or AUD but it doesn't make much difference these days. :D

The main problem that I have with buying the 3G iPad is that I am already paying for data access on my phone.

I have a T-Mobile US HTC HD2 and am using a free wifi router app that I got at xda-developers. Like Fergy said, its a little slow but not so bad that I don't use it a lot. You might want to check out the xda-developers website and see if you can find a free app to use.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I use my Moto Droid to tether my iPad wirelessly. I had to root the Droid (like jailbreaking), and then loaded an Android ap called Barnacle. It's really easy (both to root and load and run Barnacle), but I don't want to try and post the instructions here. There are others that are much better at providing links and instructions than I.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done. Very easy to do also. I did it all the time b4 i got this comcast wireless network. I can still tether to my winmo phone when im out the house. Just look for tehtering apps for ur specific phone or OS.
Dont mention too much details b4 people come in asking did u pirchase tethering plan. Which is a total ripoff if u already paying for internet on the phone/device anyways..lol
Good luck on finding.
What kind of phone u have? Windows or android. I might could point u in the right direction ;-)

vsstanton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a blackberry style and would love a little step by step help...have been all over searching...
Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts